Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 20 gallon Batch in a 10 gallon Boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default 20 gallon Batch in a 10 gallon Boil?

I would like to brew a 20 gallon batch with a 10 gallon system?
Is this possible? What do I have to do, just double everything?
I would like to get four 5 gallon bucket's with a final 10 gallons of wort, by topping up with water at the end:-)
I use the BrewPal software for iPhone! So it's easy just to double!!
Let me know your thoughts!
Thanks

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Hop utilization will be less, and you'll have to account for your efficiency since you'll be mashing so much grain. Do you have the ability to scale batches and use top off water in BrewPal? If not download a trial of Beersmith, that should help you to calculate the differences you will see.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done some of this in the past, and I wouldn't really recommend it except for lower gravity beers. Like, lower than 1.045 but preferably in the 30s. I made 10 gallons of Mild with an OG (after topping off) of 1.039. I would worry that making a bigger beer would get too much melanoidin formation in the boil.

I've always felt that sometimes homebrewing makes us greedy for more MORE MORE beer, as quickly as possible, right now gimme! It's the same reason that people complain about wasting 4oz of wort to take a hydrometer sample... I still have to fight off my own greed sometimes and realize that if I take my time to make one A+ batch it's way better than having two B- batches.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Take the recipe and double everything except the 2 row (or whatever base malt you're using). Brew as if it were a 10 gal batch. 10 min before the end of the boil, add enough DME to make up for the base malt that you didn't double. After transferring to fermenters, top up to get your 20 gal.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Take the recipe and double everything except the 2 row (or whatever base malt you're using). Brew as if it were a 10 gal batch. 10 min before the end of the boil, add enough DME to make up for the base malt that you didn't double. After transferring to fermenters, top up to get your 20 gal.
I do this often. Worked well so far

Quick Reply