New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2 Batches from same grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
BADS197
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 Batches from same grain?

Say I make my batch of Golden Pale Ale, get my volume for the boil collected in buckets, dump my grain into a clean bag and save that off to the side.

I finish my process and jug it, pitch yeast and clean up...

Can I go back, drop that grain into the mashtun/kettle and repeat the process?

I'm assuming it's possible and that it would be lighter?

Is that feasable?

I wouldn't mind getting two batches out of a stack of grain even if one's lighter...

Or would the sugars be too low to be usefull?

Add some extract and do a partial mash?

thanks,
jake

Frosty Nipple Brewing Co.

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Last edited by BADS197; 06-25-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's doable (look up partigyle in the search), but the first beer is usually a big'un, and the second one much smaller- like a wee heavy and 60 Shilling, I believe. How big is your golden ale? A Kolsch still needs a good amount of sugar left.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What you're describing is a parti-gyle mash. It used to be done all the time (that's where Belgians got the Trippel / Dubbel designations).

Here's a search link: A home brewing beer and wine making civilized discussion community. Also with beer/wine/mead/cider discussion, beer reviews, pub talk, and general chit-chat. - Search Results for parti gyle mash

Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
BADS197
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdog View Post
It's doable (look up partigyle in the search), but the first beer is usually a big'un, and the second one much smaller- like a wee heavy and 60 Shilling, I believe. How big is your golden ale? A Kolsch still needs a good amount of sugar left.
What do you mean by smaller?

I would assume the sugars would be less i.e. less fermentation and less alcohol produced therefore a lighter beer.

Your talking about the second one being the wee-heavy and 60shilling types??

I just used it as an example, I am still tweaking a starting recipe for a Golden Ale.. no real numbers in stone yet.

Frosty Nipple Brewing Co.

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Unless you were doing a really bad ass brew for the first, it would be a waste of time.
You would have to use such a lot of grain for this to work, as if you only used your normal amount, you would virtually get no sugars out of the mash and your extraction of tannins from the husk would make a horrible light ABV beer.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Hey, if you are really interesting in doing a partigyle, my old thread from last summer is really helpful, because it goes from me having absolutely no idea how to figure out how to calculate the recipe for it, to actually doing it...It's sort of the idiot's guide to partigyling.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-26-2009, 04:27 AM   #7
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2147

To do this, you need to start with a fairly large grain bill (i.e., 20#). The first 5 gallons of beer off that amount of grain could make a "big" beer, maybe a Barleywine, because the first couple runnings will end up at a high OG.

The later runnings could make a small beer because the wort will be much thinner by then.

If you start with a small grain bill, the later runnings will be so clear that you will end up with O'Douls. I am assuming you don't want to end up with O'Douls.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You can certainly do two beers frome the same mash...just not exactly the way you describe it. I would reserve the first and second runnnings in buckets and blend them to get a stronger beer, and a mild / session beer. You could also steep some additional grain in a grain bag to alter the second or first brew.

Different hops and yeast as well. Or you could do a small heavy brew of smaller batch size, say 2-3 gallons, and then 5 gallons of session brew. Just be careful you don't get an exterely strong beer, and then an extremely weak one...that would likely happen from your proposed method above.

Oh, and you would collect all the runnings initially, not brew a batch, and reuse the grain...NG.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Roman Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bjornbrewer and I just did this over last weekend. We brewed a 10G (actually 11g) RIS and then a smaller beer right after. Our OG on 11g was 1.089. It should have been 10g but we were running way too late and Bjorn had to go, so we cut it a bit short, sacrificing gravity a bit. We sparged again to collect enough for a smaller 5g batch, and added 3.5lbs of light extract to bump up the gravity to 1.065 or so.

This was all done on the fly, we really only planned out the RIS and guessed on the second beer.

Sorry, but I have no real useful technical information or numbers for you to work with.

Cheers.

Roman

Old 11-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
amcclai7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Really interesting Ideas! I'll have to check this out sometime.

Quick Reply