Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2 5gal coolers? mash tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
NikolausXX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 5gal coolers? mash tun?

I just got a free 5 gal rubbermaid. I estimate about 10 pounds grain max. These things are all around me and cheap or free. Could a guy make 2 5gal mash tuns, and make a big 5 gallon, or small 10 gallon batch of beer? Would it be like a 10 gal gott? I could make 2 5gal tuns less than the cost of 1 10 gal gott cooler! Didnt know if anybody tried using 2 small mash tuns instead of 1 large, and any of the complications, other than time and math? Method is batch sparging, with a stainless mesh.

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Sure you could use two 5's to equal a 10 gal. Be a little more laborious checking temps and sparging, but, you gotta do what you gotta do. BTW a 48 qt rubbermaid is around 16 bucks.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
thebull

Recipes 

I think you would just have two five gallon batches and not a ten. The work using two small coolers would defeat the purpose of a quicker and more efficient ten gallon batch using a larger cooler.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been doing 14 lb mashes in a 5gal rubbermaid. I think about 15 is the max.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 09-07-2008, 02:22 AM   #5
T-Hops
Recipes 

I can get approx 12.5lbs grain in my 5 gallon round coolers. I have recently upgraded to 10 gallon batches, but have not finished my new MLT. I have done a couple split mashes in two 5 gallon coolers. I did not check my efficiency from each mash but combined it was still 73%. So I would say yes you can. And no they would not necessarily make a small 10 gallon batch you could make medium gravity beers.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Ya I think ill go cooler shopping at walmart! I will use the 5 until I get a better cooler. I was offered another free 5 gallon today. And scored another turkey fryer! You can do 12 pounds of grain in a 5 gallon? I was thinking of a recipe around 10lbs for a brown ale. So far though the 5 gallon has been free. Free cooler, free ballvalve, pipe nipple, orings, washers, and nut. I plan a bazooka tube, might have to spend a couple bucks to cobble that together.

Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolausXX View Post
...You can do 12 pounds of grain in a 5 gallon?
I mashed 11.31lbs of grain in 5 gallon cooler yesterday with a 1.3qt/lb of grain ratio and had room to spare. It was my first all grain so I have yet to see how much grain I can cram in there.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 113 Posts

you can do 1.1qt/lb of grain and get away with quite a bit, then do a double batch sparge.

it might be kind of difficult getting a good stir and mixture, tho. definitely get a good mash paddle like this one

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #9
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I maxed my 5 gal out at 12.5 lbs at 1.25 / lb. There was NO room to spare. I realized the next couple of beers I wanted to make had even bigger grain bills, and upgraded to a 10. I probably should have gotten the 10 to start, but live and learn.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 09-17-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Well I only have 1 5 gallon made. And I think ill stick with that for now. I was at home depot looking for orings, and braid parts for my brew day this weekend. They have 10 gallon Rubbermaids, that are red and say home depot on them, for 39 bucks! I didnt buy tho because I just spent a mint on grains and yeast from the local HBS. I put 11 pounds in the 5 with a 1.25 ratio and still had about 3 or 4 inches to spare from top. I bought a paddle from LHBS for like 5 bucks, flimsy plastic thing, but it works ok I guess, could be a little stiffer but is plenty long. I made a 60 percent wheat/ 40 percent pills heffe. I got slow/stuck sparges. I am assuming too fine of crush on the wheat, only added 1/4 pound rice hulls that were not soaked, and added them last. I might try this again, adding at least 1/2 pound if not the 3/4 pound rice hulls I got left into the cooler, and soaking them during the heat soak period before I add the grains. Then adding my grains and possibly crush the wheat a little more coarse. I got corona grinder, so it is a bitch adjusting for different grains. It crushed the pills perfect, but the wheat it was leaving 3/4 chunks of grains in there, so I tightened it, possibly a little too much.

Ageing- Joam Mead

Quick Reply