Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2.5 Gallon Batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Wreckoncile
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2.5 Gallon Batches

So here's the deal. I got the basic homebrewer starter set up back in August, have done a couple of extract beers already, and decided to try my hand last weekend with my first AG/BIAB style, a smoked mild. I enjoyed the AG process much more and although a bit tricky to control the mash temp in a brew kettle, I've decided that I think that BIAB is the way I should go for now until I get a more capable set up for a full AG switch.

Having said that, I only have a 5 gallon kettle, so my BIAB/AG capability is limited in size for now to 2.5 gallons. I do all my primary fermentation in a 8 gallon bucket and when I need to rack to secondary, it goes into a six gallon carboy.

I'm wondering is there anything inherently detrimental to doing small 2.5 gallon batches, especially as it pertains to fermenting in vessels with larger capacity? Right now, I see only advantages. With only 2.5 gallon batches, I'll brew more often (giving this rookie a chance to really learn the process through repetition), I'll be able to brew a wider variety of styles over this time, I'll save money (extract is friggin expensive compared to grain), and best of all, I get to fill my kitchen with that smell of sweet wort.

Primary: Winterfell Black Stout
Secondary: None
Bottled: It's the Most Wonderful Time for a Beer Xmas Ale, Rumplepumpkin Imperial Pumpkin Porter, Walder Frey's Treacherous Smoked Mild.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
SuburbanBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 4 Posts

No harm in fermenting in a larger vessel. The only thing I would do is purge your secondary with CO2, so there is no oxygen able to possibly oxidize the beer. I've always purged my secondaries with CO2 prior to racking.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

With only 2.5 gallons, I'd either totally skip the clearing vessel ("secondary") or get a 3 gallon carboy if I felt that I needed to use a clearing vessel. It'll be ok in primary with lots of headspace for quite a while (weeks, anyway), but not in a secondary.

Since I skip racking anyway, except for when it's time to package, I'd just ferment it in the primary and then bottle.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
With only 2.5 gallons, I'd either totally skip the clearing vessel ("secondary") or get a 3 gallon carboy if I felt that I needed to use a clearing vessel. It'll be ok in primary with lots of headspace for quite a while (weeks, anyway), but not in a secondary.

Since I skip racking anyway, except for when it's time to package, I'd just ferment it in the primary and then bottle.
+1

Only thing I would add is, just use your 6 gallon for the primary. I ferment my 2.5 gallon batches in 5 gallon carboys all the time and skip the secondary.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Wreckoncile
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll make sure to get myself a three gallon carboy shortly. I've been wanting to get a better bottle anyhow for extended secondaries anyhow.

A second question comes to mind in light of all this:

The consensus seems to be that primary fermenting in an 8 gallon bucket is fine and dandy since the CO2 generated in fermentation is keeping the beer from oxidizing. But one slight issue is that my bucket doesn't seem to seal airtight. I end up taping around the sides with duct tape to try and keep anything and everything out, but I never get a bubbling airlock, even during the peak fermentations while krausen is strong. Is my bucket allowing CO2 to escape and therefore my beer at risk of oxidizing even during primary?

Primary: Winterfell Black Stout
Secondary: None
Bottled: It's the Most Wonderful Time for a Beer Xmas Ale, Rumplepumpkin Imperial Pumpkin Porter, Walder Frey's Treacherous Smoked Mild.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckoncile View Post
Is my bucket allowing CO2 to escape and therefore my beer at risk of oxidizing even during primary?
Yes, once active fermentation slows down. I'd ferment in the carboy, with a bung and airlock, if you were doing a 2.5 gallon batch and didn't have a good lid for the bucket.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 76

For my 2-3 gallon size batches I use white paint buckets that I buy from Walmart for $2-3. Lids cost $1 and a grommet is 50 cents. These are food grade safe. you can also buy (or get free) 3.5 gallon pastry buckets from your local bakery. These are used for frosting. The smaller size bucket leaves much less head space for problems to occur.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
For my 2-3 gallon size batches I use white paint buckets that I buy from Walmart for $2-3. Lids cost $1 and a grommet is 50 cents. These are food grade safe. you can also buy (or get free) 3.5 gallon pastry buckets from your local bakery. These are used for frosting. The smaller size bucket leaves much less head space for problems to occur.
Make sure you look on the bottom of the bucket to see the number in the triangle.

My super sized grocery store has changed the icing bucket to a number 5 from number 2. No more good deals on buckets.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I love to use my 5 gallon carboy for 2.5-3 gallon batches, now I don't have to worry about blow off tubes.

Krausen just dropped out of my IPA this morning.

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfloptan View Post
Make sure you look on the bottom of the bucket to see the number in the triangle.

My super sized grocery store has changed the icing bucket to a number 5 from number 2. No more good deals on buckets.
What's wrong with number 5?

Quick Reply