Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st Wort Hopping & 60 minute Addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
CKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default 1st Wort Hopping & 60 minute Addition

I've been reading what I can find about first wort hopping.
One thing I have not seen clarified is if the FWH should also be accounted for the typical 60 minute bittering addition.

My findings explain how the FWH are typically 30% of the entire hop schedule, and that they may increase the overall IBU's by 8-10%.

Should the FWH account for the late additions, and then you would still add your 60 minute bittering addition as normal, or do the FWH need to be included with your bittering addition since they will be boiled the entire time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I replace the 60 min with fwh as do a lot of memebers

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - hoppy red ale
Primary 2 -
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Sumpin Close IPA, Citra IPA

Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Count FWH as a bittering addition. Due to the longer time they're in the boil, they will contribute marginally more IBUs to your beer, but not much.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

FWH contributes slightly more IBUs to the beer than a 60-minute addition, but the character of that bitterness is totally different - and what your palate perceives is what really matters, not what some machine measures. I do *NOT* consider FWH to be a replacement for a 60-minute addition - I treat it primarily as a flavor addition.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've done a few FWH PLUS the 60 minute addition and like it much. Not for every style but for the few I've tried, I really like it.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
FWH contributes slightly more IBUs to the beer than a 60-minute addition, but the character of that bitterness is totally different - and what your palate perceives is what really matters, not what some machine measures. I do *NOT* consider FWH to be a replacement for a 60-minute addition - I treat it primarily as a flavor addition.

My experience is different- I've found that for my beers FWH is best as a replacement for the 60 minute additions. I get plenty of bitterness out of a FWH addition, for my taste.

I think anybody wondering should try it and see what they think! Experience is the best teacher, and each of us have different palates and perceptions, so I think it's worthwhile to try it and if it really is a "smoother bitterness" or a "flavor addition" to you.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You could always skip the FWH concept and simply bitter with less hops, or choose a lower cohumulone hop for that smoother bitterness. You could also do what many breweries do for IPAs, and use half what you would normally use at 60/90 and follow that up with the leftover amount at 45/30 for a more rounded bitterness. Or you could do a combination of all of this.

FWH shouldn't contribute to flavor and aroma in terms of actual grapefruit, pine, herbal, floral, etcetera qualities. But late additions and dryhops do that very well.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

My experience is different- I've found that for my beers FWH is best as a replacement for the 60 minute additions. I get plenty of bitterness out of a FWH addition, for my taste.

I think anybody wondering should try it and see what they think! Experience is the best teacher, and each of us have different palates and perceptions, so I think it's worthwhile to try it and if it really is a "smoother bitterness" or a "flavor addition" to you.
I'm in this camp, I like the FWH and forgo the 60, it's a more subtle bitter addition IMO and there is some flavor retention as well although I've never really understood how. Unless I'm brewing an IPA I usually do FWH instead and then focus on the late additions.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've tried FWH, and this "smoother bitterness" and tastes like a "20 minute addition" just never came off that way. I'm all for it for replacing the 60 minute addition, but that's about it.

With that said, I've got Denny's Rye IPA in the queue, and I'll be fwh'ing that beer out of respect for the recipe, and to give it another shot to see if my perception of it has changed.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It probably also depends on the beer style, the hop being used, and individual preference. I know my Koelsch (which uses FWH and a 60' addition) does not taste anywhere near as bitter as it "should" based on IBU calculations alone. I have also brewed a FWH IPA that didn't have a 60-minute charge, and it fell short of my expectations. My recommendation: experiment, and use FWH in addition to or as a replacement of a bittering charge based on what your taste buds tell you.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Quick Reply