*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st runnings for Barleywine / 2nd and 3rd runnings for light beer - Anyone done this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default 1st runnings for Barleywine / 2nd and 3rd runnings for light beer - Anyone done this?

I was on the Anchor Steam website and see that they make their Old Foghorn Barleywine from the first runnings, then turn around and use the second runnings for a smaller, lighter beer. (Anchor Steam - Anchor Small Beer)

Has anyone tried this out. It seems like you would need to be doing a big batch to get a good amount of high gravity wort from your first runnings, but this sounds like a good way to get 2 brews in one per say, keeping the boiling separate that is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes it's called a Parti-Gyle....there's a ton of threads on here, including my own.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets...ne-mash-74927/

If you search (or even see if there are any similar threads on the bottom of my thread) you will find a ton of info here. we allwere playing with it in the fall.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4787 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Here's an excellent write up by Mosher with some useful maths to help predict what you make and further frustrate you when you get something different.

BT - Parti-Gyle Brewing

Too bad BT is no longer published. I'd love to have the entire library on pdf.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

ahh... I knew it would be named something strange, thanks.

So it sounds like I need to up the size of my mash/tun to get 2 - 5.5 post boil gallons

Quick Reply