So, after years of Extract and Partial Grain brewing, I decided to move to Al Grain. However, I did not have my rig established, and decided to 'just do it' with a 2.5 gallon batch on my kitchen stove, using an improvised brew in a bag type of process that sounded so good in my head. 5 minutes into th mash I cut the bag out and let the grain go loose. So cooking on the flat top stove proved PITA as my mash temperatures fluctuated wildly. Or my temperature readings were off. But I got a temperature of 175 within about 10 minutes of beginning the mash. After an hour of relaxing, not worrying, etc. I decided enough was enough and moved to the improvised sparging using a spaghetti colander. This seemed to go rather well, however messy as my wife came home about now to see the disaster in the kitchen. I forgot to get Iodine, and not being the type (yet) to take a preboil gravity reading, went right to the boil. All went well. OG reading was 1.045. I fermented for 7 days, which is longer than I usually let it go, but at this point I was convinced that I had no conversion due to the temp swings. So I racked it and what do you know it smelled like beer. I got a gravity reading of 1.019, which by the way tasted better than my last 10 extract batches. It needs to be bottled sometime soon, but should be damn acceptable as my first attempt. I learned a lot and found this forum, so I should be better prepared next time. Also I now have an outdoor burner as well as a sweet Mash Tun. Though I could use a larger boil pot, I should be okay for a 5 gallon batch.