Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st piece of equipment for AG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
robertbartsch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 1st piece of equipment for AG?

I assume your first piece of equipment to purchase when converting from PM to AG brewing should be a barley crusher followed by a mashing tun; right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
BuonAnno
Recipes 

Well it depends on what you already have.

You can get your grains pre-crushed so I would say the two pieces of equipment vital to AG are a mash tun and a pot able to handle full boils.

Kegged
Justin Cider

Old 08-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
I assume your first piece of equipment to purchase when converting from PM to AG brewing should be a barley crusher followed by a mashing tun; right?
A mill of any type is optional, since most LHBS and even mail order will crush for you. And as for style of crusher/mill, there are many options for that beyond that brand, including using a modified corona mill (like what Charlie Papazian gets 87% effieciency with) or even a modified 20 dollar pasta machine from Michael's are supply store.

But again in order of priorities grain milling is really low.

Of the two Mash Tun or the stuff do do BIAB is number 1

Then if you haven't you need to address doing full size boils, i.e. a turkey fryer or something.

And chilling, as in a wort chiller is a priority.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I've been doing AG for 2 years and do not own a mill.

For me to go AG as an extract brewer:
1: I picked up a 30qt turkey fryer that allowed me to do full extract batches (~$70)
2: DIY MT (essential) for ~$80.

I buy my ingredients from Brewmasters Warehouse and always get an excellent crush.

Basically, the price from a partial boil extract brewer going to AG cost me $150.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even cheaper when you can find that turkey fryer on CL. Tons of them go up in the month or so before Turkey Day.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But again in order of priorities grain milling is really low.

Of the two Mash Tun or the stuff do do BIAB is number 1

Then if you haven't you need to address doing full size boils, i.e. a turkey fryer or something.

And chilling, as in a wort chiller is a priority.
Right on. But you can skip the chiller and search for no-chill. Saves some $$ and space to store another piece of equipment.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjmac View Post
Even cheaper when you can find that turkey fryer on CL. Tons of them go up in the month or so before Turkey Day.
I paid 25 for mine at Meijer's or maybe Kroger's in late October/early November a couple years back, seems they were getting ready to stock a newer, an consequently more expensive, model for the Thanksgiving holiday, so they deep discounted the older model to clear them out. Look along the back wall where the seasonal stuff is, and you may be surprised, they may be moving last year's fall stuff out of the way to shuffle the summer stuff, like BBq's off the main part of the floor and into "seasonal" so the really old stuff may be on deep clearance.

Just make sure that yours DOESN'T have the newer safety feature that requires you to push a button every 5-15 minutes in order to keep the gas flowing. They're a pain to use, and noone's come up with a good way to bypass that feature.

This one doesn't have it, it is a straght un-inerrupted hose from tank to burner'

The crappy ones will have a little grey box a little larger than an AA battery with a red button on it, located somewhere in the path of the gas. It uses different sized fittings so you can't even easily cut it out of the line and straight pipe the hose.

If all you can find at stores are the ones with the safety feature, than look at Cl or Garage sales.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

I'm now researching the Turkey Fryer option. I imagine stainless is the preferred way to go but is aluminum OK?

TIA,

John

Old 08-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodon View Post
I'm now researching the Turkey Fryer option. I imagine stainless is the preferred way to go but is aluminum OK?

TIA,

John
You assume wrong...like so many things in brewing, it just doesn't matter.

Read this sticky....it's there for a reason

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

Old 08-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Bah, my post was to say I picked up a 30-qt to do full-BOIL (extract) brewing.

Yeah, $150 is at the high-end but it gives you an idea of an upper boundary that isn't intimidating for making a decision with. Get those turkey fryers on sale/discount/used and same for a building a DIY mash tun, you could probably do that cheaper.

I've since moved up to a larger burner and do 10 gal batches in a larger boil kettle but getting into AG wasn't a huge money sink for me and was fun to do with excellent results on every batch.

Quick Reply