Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st A.G. Great start!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Seawolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 1st A.G. Great start!!

I got through my first all grain with no hiccups, no problems, and 75% efficiency! It was so smooth, and I felt like I had all the right tools for the job. What a difference that makes!

I tried out a Fat Tire clone tonight in my new brew pot. I can't wait to tackle my next A.G. adventure. I'm gonna start hitting the Belgian beers really hard. I want to make something like Orval and a trippel similar to Petrus. Those are some wonderful beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats on the jump to all grain, very nice efficiency for a first try! Be careful it's very addicting, I Just bought a grain mill and a keggle.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Seawolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw
Congrats on the jump to all grain, very nice efficiency for a first try! Be careful it's very addicting, I Just bought a grain mill and a keggle.

You weren't kidding about the addiction. I did my 2nd A.G. batch today. I would probably start another batch tomorrow if I had somewhere to put it. I only have two primary fermentors. Next on deck, and Dunkel Weizen (dark), and I really want to brew a Tripel or something along those lines.

I'm trying to brew a nice variety so that I'll no longer depend on the beer store! I guess that's the common goal in here though!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
InkPouchMan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats! I hope my first AG goes that smoothly. Let us know how it turns out.

"Give it time, young one." -- Somebody

Bucket: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale
Glass carboy: Unnamed Belgian
Better Bottle: Empty
Bottled/drinking: Brewer's Best IPA, Molasses Porter

Old 03-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I hear ya, the Belgian brews are very tasty! You will like brewing a big ag batch, regardless of the origin! Congrats and keep it up; you won't be disappointed.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
Seawolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A grain mill would only be beneficial if you were using 50lb bags of malt right? I suppose it would save a few minutes at the LHBS, but they have no problem crushing my grains. I'm just asking because I guess for my small operation, where I'm trying new recipes, I don't really see the need for a mill. Is that something that would be more useful if repeating a recipe and digging into that 50lb bag?

Quick Reply