Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st brown ale...looking for recipe feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
mlevings12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st brown ale...looking for recipe feedback

Hello All,

I'm working on a Brown Ale, my first of this style. I was torn between the Northern English variety w/ its classic toffee notes and the American version, with it's slightly more aggressive hops. Looking for some critiques on my recipe. Hoping to brew this weekend.

7 lbs, 8 oz Pale Malt (2 row, UK)
1lb, 8 oz Brown Malt (UK)
1lb Crystal -60L
8oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Biscuit Malt

.75oz Willamette @ 30 min
.50oz Willamette @ FWH
.50oz Centennial @ 60 min

Wyeast British Ale II (#1335)

Mash 60 min @ 152, Batch Sparge @ 168

Like I said, this is my first attempt at this style, so all feedback/suggestions - most appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
vera
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I ran your recipe through Beer Smith, assuming you have about a 70% mash efficiency, and end up with 5 gallons of beer. It seems like you are perfectly within the style guideline. I love your grain bill. The only thing I would change is gravity - I like higher gravity (but then, I don't know your efficiency or batch size.) Your IBUs are a bit high for the style at 42.7. Suggested is 20-40, however you are FWHing which should make for a nice balance, especially with the malts you are using. I would brew this. If you do, check back and let me know how you like it.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
mlevings12
Recipes 

Thanks for the response. The grain bill was my major concern. Though, when I entered this in beersmith, the IBUs were within the range (American Brown ale). The intent is to be a hybrid between an American Brown Ale and the version most popular across the pond, hence the name "pond Hopper"(a little cheesy, I know). Anyway, thanks again. Will be certain to update in a few months.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
vera
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevings12 View Post
"pond Hopper"(a little cheesy, I know). Anyway, thanks again. Will be certain to update in a few months.
Not cheesy at all. I love creative names. My last beer name was Hawaiian Fog. It was a high gravity IPA with lots of tropical fruit flavors. I'm a bit foggy on how we drank it so quickly.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
mike20793
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I like to add some chocolate malt into my brown ale. I usually use 4 oz though last time I brewed it I upped it to 6.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
mlevings12
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20793
I like to add some chocolate malt into my brown ale. I usually use 4 oz though last time I brewed it I upped it to 6.
I have 8oz of chocolate malt in my grain bill. Do you think that's too much?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

With that amount of brown malt, the beer would be more "brown porter" like than a brown ale. With the addition of 8 oz chocolate malt, you're definitely in the brown porter category, with the restrained roastiness.

The hopping looks really weird. I don't understand it at all. For most American browns, you'd use a schedule like this;

bittering hops 60 minutes (or FWH)
flavor hops 15 minutes
aroma hops (5-0 minutes).

Are you using FWH, bittering, and 30 minute hops?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
mlevings12
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
With that amount of brown malt, the beer would be more "brown porter" like than a brown ale. With the addition of 8 oz chocolate malt, you're definitely in the brown porter category, with the restrained roastiness.

The hopping looks really weird. I don't understand it at all. For most American browns, you'd use a schedule like this;

bittering hops 60 minutes (or FWH)
flavor hops 15 minutes
aroma hops (5-0 minutes).

Are you using FWH, bittering, and 30 minute hops?
Thanks Yooper. I was reading some info last night that said when using FWH, to use aromatic hops (replacing your late hop additions) and not to adjust your buttering hops schedule. Hence the FWH, 60 min buttering and 30 min schedule.

As for the brown ale vs brown porter, I'm assuming there's some overlap between the categories in terms of flavor profile? What adjustment would you recommend to bring this back toward the brown ale category?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
mlevings12
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevings12

Thanks Yooper. I was reading some info last night that said when using FWH, to use aromatic hops (replacing your late hop additions) and not to adjust your buttering hops schedule. Hence the FWH, 60 min buttering and 30 min schedule.

As for the brown ale vs brown porter, I'm assuming there's some overlap between the categories in terms of flavor profile? What adjustment would you recommend to bring this back toward the brown ale category?
Bittering.....not buttering :-)

Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
mafeeker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks good, I might consider reigning in the chocolate malt maybe to .25 lbs. This will probably have a similar character to moose drool with those hops

Primary:

Secondary:

Lagering:

Kegged: Shakespeare stout clone on nitro, Columbung chuzzle IPA, Stone Pale Ale clone, Foreign Extra Stout, Irish Red

Bottled:

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS