Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st beer attempt ever....with lots of pics - BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
dooman333
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow very impressed. Most guys are flyin by the seat of their pant for a year an asking HBT a lot of dumb questions (like me.. haha) before getting that organized. Congrats on a successful brew day! Let us hear/see how she turns out! Ps I've got a 4 month old myself... haven't brewed in a month! Withdrawls!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
Tizzomes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE="haeffnkr"]

I forgot to mention I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old.
That is why I am so slow getting going.
Then I thought I was going to go whole hog a have a 3 vessel setup and was working to get all that stuff in place.
But then switched plans to go BIAB.

Everybody went back to work/daycare today.... I have 8 hours for me...yah !

thanks Kevin[/QUOTE

First of all great job, I also have the same setup.Try putting the burner on cinder blocks ( two on each side ) It will give you enough height to drain into your fermenter. Also I found having a 1 year old and one on the way night brewing is the way to go.The kids are asleep, and by 8:30 on a Saturday my wife could care less what I'm up to in the garage.>>> keep it up <<<<

Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
CrimsonBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hello from another brewer in STL. Setup looks great!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I've got a 2.5 year old and a 17 month old... I brew 2 batches per month... I start about 4:30am... uh huh...

Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

overachiever much??? most people's first batch is an extract kit or mr. beer. and your first batch you have a keggle?!?!? seriously, nice job with your first beer and keep it up!!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Awesome! You sound like you've followed the path similarly to how I did, lots of research and accumulation of equipment first before the first batch was even brewed. Cheers my friend!

Just one thing that catches my attention, watch having the sightglass on the same fitting as your ball valve. That will keep your kettle from draining all the way unless you plug the hole on the top of the sightglass while draining.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Awesome! You sound like you've followed the path similarly to how I did, lots of research and accumulation of equipment first before the first batch was even brewed. Cheers my friend!

Just one thing that catches my attention, watch having the sightglass on the same fitting as your ball valve. That will keep your kettle from draining all the way unless you plug the hole on the top of the sightglass while draining.

Thanks for that tip !
I had tested draining this setup in my other keggle and it seemed to work fine.
But my other keggle had a thermo/site tube and a separate drain hole (any one want to buy it in the area?)
I thought I just needed a length of tube to create the suction and have it drain.
But yesterday -
I got pour suction and it basically failed... makes sense, if you have a secondary vent hole, not much suction will be created - I feel silly now... thanks again.

Everyone else, thanks for the comments -
Night or early day brewing seems to be a common theme around here.
Now that I got one under my belt and know what exactly I need to prepare I will can knock some time off the process for sure.

bwomp313 -
No matter what I do... I do it right the first time..... when you make mistakes it cost more but hopefully those will be minimal and you wont have to redo stuff.
Drives the wife crazy... I take too long to do anything, but it is usually right and the way I want it when I am done.

thanks again Kevin

Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You could always plug it with your thumb while draining, or make some sort of cap. Heck a piece of vinyl tubing that is stretched over the top then kinked when you begin to drain would work.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Great writeup and congrats on your BIAB success!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Great writeup and congrats on your BIAB success!
Thanks - beer is bubbling a little this AM so I guess things are moving forward.

My thermometer was reading 61 on the carboy this morning.
I pulled the carboy over to the other part of the basement...should be high 6X there.
Might get things rolling a bit for a day then pull it back.. supposed to warm up in the next few days.

Does it really matter? ferment at high vs low 60s with S-05?

thanks Kevin

Quick Reply