Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st All-Grain Measurements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
I have another thread currently posted asking how to exactly add the extra DME. I received a response on how much. I was told 1 lb. of DME in a 5 gallon batch should give you about a 10 pt. increase in gravity.

My questions was when & how do you make the DME addition since the gravity is read after cooling the wort? It would suck to have to boil the DME separately, wait for it to cool & add it.
If you are worried about it (I don't care much really) you take a sample from the kettle (before the boil) and check the gravity. Knowing the gravity and how many gallons you have you can figure out what your OG will be with X number of gallons boiled off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You'd want to take a sample of your preboil wort (well mixed) in order to figure your mash/lauter efficiency anyway. Yes, if you're using a hydrometer, cooling the sample in the freezer or icebath would be a good idea to reduce temp conversion errors. That's when you'll know if your gravity has fallen short. BUT!! don't forget to calculate what your boiled off gravity WILL be first. I've heard of people getting a low gravity with 7 gallons of preboil and thinking, CRAP! I missed the target.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply