Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st All-grain: Fly or Batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Sean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab
batch-do a search on this site for details. Much easier, and although you will obtain greater efficiency with fly, most of the guys around here get 70-80% with batch.

Ahh...EA - flysparger ...Had to stick that little barb in there didn't ya.

One can achieve equal efficiency with batch sparging, of that there is no doubt...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

10 gallon container, batch
5 gallon, fly (you can do a sort-of-batch but only with really small grain bills)

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
Bert
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I agree, keep it simple to startout and batch sparge.

When I brewed my first AG batch I already had the sparge arm, HLT, etc and still batch sparged to get the basics down.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
inhifistereo
Recipes 

I just want everyone to know that I had no idea that an argument would ensue about which method is best.

With that said . . . watching the carnage unfold is pretty funny . . .

Friends don't let friends go to grad school...

Old 03-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
BlendieOfIndie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Well, the extra equipment that I would need to fly sparge would be a sparge arm, and an HLT. I don't have either. I don't know how you'd pour the water in and drain it out the way you suggest without that. You'd have to trickle it in by hand, and then set the run off to the same level. I'm confused as to how you're doing yours- could you explain better to me? Thanks!
I don't have a HLT (Hot Liquor Tank) or a sparge arm & I fly sparge.

Substitute your kettle for HLT. While my mash is going, I heat up sparge water in my kettle. To sparge, use a 1qt measuring cup to slowly pour hot water over the back of your stir spoon & onto the grain bed. Set the spigot on your MLT to run off @ 1 gallon every 12 minutes. I add a quart of water every 3 minutes or so. I drain the MLT into a brew bucket - that way I can measure the volume of the runoff.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendieOfIndie

Substitute your kettle for HLT. While my mash is going, I heat up sparge water in my kettle. To sparge, use a 1qt measuring cup to slowly pour hot water over the back of your stir spoon & onto the grain bed. Set the spigot on your MLT to run off @ 1 gallon every 12 minutes. I add a quart of water every 3 minutes or so. I drain the MLT into a brew bucket - that way I can measure the volume of the runoff.
Bingo... sort of a corrupted fly/batch sparge without any extra equipment, and John Palmer himself actually suggests this as a method of sparging.

I have a HLT, but I find that this method is easier, and if you have a braid like me, I have found that I get better effeciency this way (although I have yet to achieve a great efficiency). I mash out and drain the grain bed, but not all the way and I start pouring in about a quart per minute gently with about a quarter inch of water on top of the grain bed. With a HLT I can drain into my kettle and get my boil going a little faster. This is the only way I have done it that I have never gotten stuck.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
RobertHSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for batch sparging

Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Well, the extra equipment that I would need to fly sparge would be a sparge arm, and an HLT. I don't have either. I don't know how you'd pour the water in and drain it out the way you suggest without that. You'd have to trickle it in by hand, and then set the run off to the same level. I'm confused as to how you're doing yours- could you explain better to me? Thanks!
I use a gravity system currently (I have bought my pump though ) and in the past I just trickle water onto the grain bed with a hose. All a sparge arm does is distribute the water on top of the grain but since you should have a 1-2 inch water layer over your grains it really doesn't make a difference. I have a ball valve on my MLT and set that to an appropriate flow rate. Then while sparging I just adjust my sparge water flow rate to maintain between 1-2 inches of water above the grain.

I really only fly sparge because it seems so much simpler to me. I am sure batch sparging is easy as all of you say, but fly just makes more sense to me.

If you do not have a HLT you can heat your sparge water in your BK and collect runnings in a third vessel.

All that said, I am sure batch sparging works better form some people and I know it works just as well.

Cheers to the great debate

Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter
I use a gravity system currently (I have bought my pump though ) and in the past I just trickle water onto the grain bed with a hose. All a sparge arm does is distribute the water on top of the grain but since you should have a 1-2 inch water layer over your grains it really doesn't make a difference. I have a ball valve on my MLT and set that to an appropriate flow rate. Then while sparging I just adjust my sparge water flow rate to maintain between 1-2 inches of water above the grain.

I really only fly sparge because it seems so much simpler to me. I am sure batch sparging is easy as all of you say, but fly just makes more sense to me.

If you do not have a HLT you can heat your sparge water in your BK and collect runnings in a third vessel.

All that said, I am sure batch sparging works better form some people and I know it works just as well.

Cheers to the great debate
Ah, that clears it up for me, thanks!

I batch sparge because it's easier for me- I dump in the water all at once, stir it up, and clean a little equipment while I start the first runnings to boil. By then, it's time to drain. So, it works well in my case.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlendieOfIndie

I add a quart of water every 3 minutes or so. I drain the MLT into a brew bucket - that way I can measure the volume of the runoff.
Ok, so the description of that process doesn't exactly solidify the "it's not any more trouble argument".

You're using the same equipment as in batch sparging (the cheap way anyway) and you're sitting there babysitting it throughout the process.

This isn't to support which method is BETTER by any means, but I still contend that to make fly sparging more practical, all else considered, you really SHOULD have an HLT and some method of even delivery over the bed and even way of collecting under the bed (false bottom or large manifold). If you don't want to go there, just batch and call it a day.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply