Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st all grain brew has watered down results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Are you sure of your gravity readings? 1.066 down to 1.014 is almost 7% alcohol with pretty normal attenuation. This along with your malt bill should be anything but watery. Did you add water at some point? At exactly what point did you take your OG reading and what did you use? Without accurate numbers no one can diagnose anything, and like I said, those numbers look fine and shouldn't be watery at all...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
crackhead7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would postulate that with such a small grain bill and a 75 min mash with a relatively low temp. You might have converted more fermentible sugars then you intended, ending with a beer dryer / less body then you intended. Temp accuracy can be difficult with out a very good themometer. You might want to bump you mash tmep up to 156* to see if that imporves the "watery taste."

Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #23
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhild59
Always omit the buttering addition
thats the Hogwarts version.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 01-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
zenyl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
Are you sure of your gravity readings? 1.066 down to 1.014 is almost 7% alcohol with pretty normal attenuation. This along with your malt bill should be anything but watery. Did you add water at some point? At exactly what point did you take your OG reading and what did you use? Without accurate numbers no one can diagnose anything, and like I said, those numbers look fine and shouldn't be watery at all...
I get my OG sample between cooling the wort and transferring it to the fermenter. I use a standard glass test tube and hydrometer. I took FG from a sample siphoned from the fermenter prior to racking to the bottling bucket. The only time I added anything was the corn sugar solution before bottling. According to my notes my bottling volume was ~1.8 gallons and I used 2 cups water and 55 grams of corn sugar. Is 2 cups too much for this volume?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've never brewed such a small batch; my comments were just based on the gravity reading seeming pretty normal. 2 cups of water does seem a bit much to me given the small batch size, but I don't think it would be enough to make it taste watery. Go with just enough water to dissolve your sugar next time. Maybe a 2 to 1 ratio should do. As for your original problem, I still suspect inaccurate gravity readings. Did you adjust for temerature? How long was your boil and with what hop schedule?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
DamageCT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyousRuction View Post
Did the grain sit for a while after you crushed it
I always have my grain sit for about a 5 days to a week crushed before I use it and have not run into any watery problems...

As for the hops at the 20/30 minute marker, that means they were utilized less and more so for a hop flavor then bitterness...
The malt would create a sweet taste and the fact that there were no bittering hops (at the 60 minute marker) you should count yourself lucky that the wort was watery and not overly sweet

Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #27
arch1tect
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You have no bittering addition at all so right off the bat you don't have any bitterness in the beer. This accounts for depth in the beer.

You also mashed at 152 which produces a pretty high fermentable wort. So now you have a beer with no bitterness, and low levels of residual maltiness. This is what is accounting for your watered down taste.

To make a beer with body you would've needed to mash higher(closer to 160) and tried to halt the Fermentation around 1.020. Also just because you don't want a bitter beer doesn't mean you shouldn't add a bittering addition. There are tons of hop strains you can add that would only increase the depth and complexity of the beer without causing it to be bitter.

Try a recipe kit from a local shop or online dealer and follow the instructions. I think you'll have much better results.

-Michael

NJ NYC Photographer

Reason: typo!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
JoyousRuction
Recipes 

168 seems really high for saccrification, that would neutralize the enzymes really quickly. Did you mean 158?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
erikhild59
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

With no bittering, a sacch.rest @152 should produce a very malty sweet beer. 152 is commonly considered about the midway point in the sacch range, balancing between body and fermentability. I doubt that this is the problem, would look elsewhere.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
crackhead7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhild59 View Post
With no bittering, a sacch.rest @152 should produce a very malty sweet beer. 152 is commonly considered about the midway point in the sacch range, balancing between body and fermentability. I doubt that this is the problem, would look elsewhere.
that is if his thermometer is actually correctly reading 152*

Quick Reply