Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st all grain brew has watered down results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #11
zenyl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
I doubt it's the mash temp unless the thermometer is off. 152 is a fine mash temp for a pale ale any higher should cause a cloying pale ale IMO.
I thought 152 would be okay too. Can water chemistry cause this type of problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenyl View Post
I thought 152 would be okay too. Can water chemistry cause this type of problem?
being new to brewing and your own brewing process can cause this. i consider myself to be a new brewer, 1yr old, and my early beers had off flavors, fusel alcohols, watery, cloudy, no hop flavor, sour and what not to very good beer that i'm proud of today. we don't buy very much beer at the store anymore because we prefer our own beer.
in that yrs time i've gotten fermentation temperature control, an pure O2 delivery system, a much better quality brew sculpture, brewing software, a better understanding of my system and of brewing in general. my education continues and so will yours if you keep brewing.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
JoyousRuction
Recipes 

Did the grain sit for a while after you crushed it

Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I'm not totally sure of the recipe. You didn't start adding hops till 20 out. O wonder if what you are calling watery malt base isn't more a lack of bitterness in the base taste. 30 ibu only added in the last 20 minutes would give you a thinner taste, I think.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp
I'm not totally sure of the recipe. You didn't start adding hops till 20 out. O wonder if what you are calling watery malt base isn't more a lack of bitterness in the base taste. 30 ibu only added in the last 20 minutes would give you a thinner taste, I think.
I questioned this as well however with alway hoping at 60 min myself I wasn't sure wait to expect omitting the buttering addition so I didn't say anything. But this should be considered maybe someone that has omitted the bittering addition can chime in.

Also because malt generally takes longer to develop fully maybe age will help the malt come forward more. This is an pale ale that should allow the hops to shine with a nice malt backbone but without a 60min hop addition maybe the lack of malt character is accentuated if that makes sense.

Also to the OP yes I think water could play a factor it has in my malt forward beers before.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
erikhild59
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Always omit the buttering addition

Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhild59
Always omit the buttering addition
Dang iPhone...my thumbs are to big to type on this thing.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What type of water are you using?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
zenyl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyousRuction View Post
Did the grain sit for a while after you crushed it
my strike water is heating up when I crush - the grains may have been sitting for 10 minutes, tops

Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
zenyl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
I questioned this as well however with alway hoping at 60 min myself I wasn't sure wait to expect omitting the buttering addition so I didn't say anything. But this should be considered maybe someone that has omitted the bittering addition can chime in.

Also because malt generally takes longer to develop fully maybe age will help the malt come forward more. This is an pale ale that should allow the hops to shine with a nice malt backbone but without a 60min hop addition maybe the lack of malt character is accentuated if that makes sense.

Also to the OP yes I think water could play a factor it has in my malt forward beers before.
My past brews have included a 60 minute addition and don't suffer the same problem so I considered this as well. My intention was to brew a hoppy beer that wasn't overly bitter - apparently hopbursting can achieve this result. Someone else I spoke to suggested I should've had a 30 or 25 minute addition in there.

I have 4 bottles left at room temps, I'll see how they taste in a month or so - maybe they'll improve with age.

Quick Reply