New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st All Grain Brew in a Bag (BIAB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #21
specialkaye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
I would like to try this. How do you know how much mash and sparge water to use? Thanks!
Basically, you have to work backwards: You want at least 5 gallons of wort. Usually, I shoot for about 5.5 gallons. Your grains will absorb about a gallon per 10lbs, give or take a bit. BUT, they only absorb water on the mash, on the sparge they're still full of water from the mash.

Figure about .15 gallons per pound of grain, or use about a pint per pound. It'll all work out and you can drink you mistakes. So, ADD that amount to the 5.5 gallons of wort you want. Say you have a 7.5lb grain bill, you add 7.5 pints (or almost 4 quarts- a gallon) to your 5.5 gallons desired. So, you're up to about 6.5 gallons of water.

Now, you have to add your boil off amount. I can't tell you what yours is, you have to do a boil to find your actual number. But, you can guess the first time. I did. Anyway, I add about another 1/2 gallon for boil off. I have a tall narrow pot. For a wide, fat pot, I'd add more. Now, I'm up to about 7 gallons.

Seven gallons does not fit comfortably into my 7.5 gallon pot that really only holds about 6.75 gallons to the rim. So, I split this into two pots. Sixteen quarts in one, and eight and a half quarts into the other.

I heat the larger amount first, and use that to mash. While that mash is going on, I heat the smaller amount. When mash is done, sparge in smaller amount. Simple, done, drink more beer.

(raising glass) Garagekie!
Okay, now you ask, "What's a garagekie?"
And I say, "It'sa what use open de garage."

HBT Projects:Cheap Hop Spider; Recirculating Ribcage IC; Easy All-Grain BIAB

Railhead Farms LLC - Organic Wisconsin Hops

Coming Soon: 2 Rule Investing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
EricScott
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting, thanks much.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #23
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm thinking for Five Gallon Batches that I will end up doing.. the BIAB is the Cat's Meow!

Where did you get the BIAB "Bag"......?

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #24
abrdnck
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I did my first AG BIAB yesterday, and in many ways it was like yours, except with about a foot of snow. I did a 2.5 gallon batch with no sparge, partly because my brewpot is exactly the same as yours. I like the idea of a sparge, which would allow me to do a 5 gallon batch. For the most part, I will probably brew 2.5 gallons but it is nice to have an option for a larger batch without more investment.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoenb View Post
I'm thinking for Five Gallon Batches that I will end up doing.. the BIAB is the Cat's Meow!

Where did you get the BIAB "Bag"......?
I bought paint strainer bags at Home Depot. I have the 5 gallon size and they came 2 in a package. They have an elastic top that fits over my 20 qt kettle and fit all the way to the bottom. I think they will also fit my 30 qt that I recently got but won't reach the bottom of that which will be better as there will be no chance of melting the bag if I need to add heat during the mash.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #26
specialkaye
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I bought paint strainer bags at Home Depot. I have the 5 gallon size and they came 2 in a package. They have an elastic top that fits over my 20 qt kettle and fit all the way to the bottom. I think they will also fit my 30 qt that I recently got but won't reach the bottom of that which will be better as there will be no chance of melting the bag if I need to add heat during the mash.
Same, same, Home Depot. I use the smaller 1 gallon for the hop spider too.

(raising glass) Garagekie!
Okay, now you ask, "What's a garagekie?"
And I say, "It'sa what use open de garage."

HBT Projects:Cheap Hop Spider; Recirculating Ribcage IC; Easy All-Grain BIAB

Railhead Farms LLC - Organic Wisconsin Hops

Coming Soon: 2 Rule Investing

Quick Reply