Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st All Grain Brew in a Bag (BIAB)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
specialkaye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
Thanks for the post. I have been wondering about the possibilities of all grain in a stovetop-type setup. Thanks for the inspiration. Are you using the 30qt kettle that came with the propane burner? I am seeing a lot more BIAB threads so I will get researching lol!
Yes, I used the "30" qt that came with the burner for the mash tun and boil kettle. And I used a "20"qt for the sparge. Once the grain bag is out of the mash tun/boil kettle, I just dumped the sparge into the "30"qt for the boil.

I high-lighted those sizes because they're not. I knew I'd be right on the edge of capacities and I was marking volumes on story stick for later use with the boil and that's when I found out that the 30qt pot is really only about 28qts and that my 20qt was really only about 18. So, I suddenly had to recalculate how much water I could use for each of the steps because that effectively took away my head room.

(raising glass) Garagekie!
Okay, now you ask, "What's a garagekie?"
And I say, "It'sa what use open de garage."

HBT Projects:Cheap Hop Spider; Recirculating Ribcage IC; Easy All-Grain BIAB

Railhead Farms LLC - Organic Wisconsin Hops

Coming Soon: 2 Rule Investing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Do dogs like the treats made from spent grain? Never heard of that???

Old 11-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey, that's pretty sharp- using a bag to lift the grain out of the mash tun and plopping it right into your sparge water. I bet its a timesaver too. I might try that some time. Thanks for posting this.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
specialkaye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
Do dogs like the treats made from spent grain? Never heard of that???
Yes, very much. My fat lab, Simon Thewonderdog, loves them. But, I also took some to a friends, they have 5 dogs, and their dogs pretty much stood in line for them. Plus, I plan to give some to a neighbor that has a kennel of hunting dogs. Got the recipe here

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmajon View Post
Hey, that's pretty sharp- using a bag to lift the grain out of the mash tun and plopping it right into your sparge water. I bet its a timesaver too. I might try that some time. Thanks for posting this.
Yup. My total all grain brew time, with a 70 minute mash, 15 minute sparge, and 60 minute boil (2hr 25min) was 4 hours 30 minutes. BTW, that was spot on with what I estimated with Beersmith. And I could cut it down a bit more but I don't think that's really all that bad.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkaye View Post
Yes, very much. My fat lab, Simon Thewonderdog, loves them. But, I also took some to a friends, they have 5 dogs, and their dogs pretty much stood in line for them. Plus, I plan to give some to a neighbor that has a kennel of hunting dogs. Got the recipe here
LOL I saw the heaading of that thread and thought it was for making "real" cookies and never looked at it.

BTW what size bag ar you using?

My paint strainer bag barely fit my turkey fryer pot when I did a batch for the first time thanksgiving day. Managed to hook it on the handles but would like a bigger bag.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #16
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just assembled my new second turkey fryer, and found out that is has that stupid timer on it. I am planning on disassembling it and getting a threaded pipe adapter that fits to get rid of the timer. I got "burned" a few times today, when the flame went out. What a total PIA, osha POS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How the heck are we supposed to boil off our wort with a damn 20 minute timer, that only runs 15 minutes (one time). I'm going to tear it apart and get rid of the timer. PERIOD.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 11-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
specialkaye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
LOL I saw the heaading of that thread and thought it was for making "real" cookies and never looked at it.

BTW what size bag ar you using?

My paint strainer bag barely fit my turkey fryer pot when I did a batch for the first time thanksgiving day. Managed to hook it on the handles but would like a bigger bag.
Well, you could eat them. But, to me, they tasted like cardboard with a hint of peanut butter in the finish.

I use a 5 gallon bag for the grain, and a 1 gallon bag for the hop spider. I've got kinda a tall skinny pot but the bag fits quite well, just over the lip and holds nicely. When I sparge in the smaller pot, I pull the bag down over the handles just to pull it a bit tighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo80 View Post
I just assembled my new second turkey fryer, and found out that is has that stupid timer on it. I am planning on disassembling it and getting a threaded pipe adapter that fits to get rid of the timer. I got "burned" a few times today, when the flame went out. What a total PIA, osha POS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How the heck are we supposed to boil off our wort with a damn 20 minute timer, that only runs 15 minutes (one time). I'm going to tear it apart and get rid of the timer. PERIOD.
I was going to disassemble the timer but just ended up using a couple zip ties to hold the knob. The zip ties can be lifted to let the knob work again, no permanent damage. Though, one of these days, I'll probably still take it completely apart. There's a couple pictures in that thread that show how I zip tied it. But, in no way am I telling you to defeat your safety feature for convenience.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #18
EricScott
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would like to try this. How do you know how much mash and sparge water to use? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #19
TheSeether
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I work much the same except I do the actual mash in an insulated cooler. While my calculated efficiency seems rather high (>80%) I am left to wonder about the sticky sweetness I discover in the spent grains.

That's a good idea bout making a small beer from it but I would like to know if this residual stuff is typical for BIAB or even full on AG methods.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #20
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

When I've done the brew in a bag, the grains are sticky but I suspect it's from the proteins instead of the sugars.

Quick Reply