The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st all grain batch in 12 years! Ended up good but...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
MikeyM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st all grain batch in 12 years! Ended up good but...

Hey fellas,
So I've returned to brewing after a 12 year break and was at the "intermediate" stage of about 1/2 extract 1/2 grain. Turned out some good, tasty beers with no off flavors, everyone loved them, etc.

Fast forward to last Sunday when the culmination of over a months worth of work building my 10-11 gallon all grain brewing system came to a head when I did my first all grain batch in over 10 years. Felt suuuper good getting back into it - I did a fly sparge (with a poor mans version of a Blichman auto-sparge) and from my calculations my efficiency was around 83ish percent so my copper manifold design and sparge rate (20 lbs in about 1.3 hours) must have been decent.

After waiting a full day, fermentation took off like a rocket. It started bubbling Monday but my concern is that it hasn't slowed substancially and it's Thursday. Am I just being overly concerned? I'm used to having my past brews slow down considerably on day 2-3 and then finish up like normal. The beer smells great from the airlock so I don't think I have any contamination.

Any thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mikey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Yes, being overly concerned. Welcome back.

Give it time and it will finish just fine.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
TomOliver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Every fermentation is different. Sounds pretty normal to me!

Welcome back!

Tom

Kegged - Hoppy Amber

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a hard time not brewing for a month, 12 years would have drove me nuts! welcome back

Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Keep in mind, yeast quality has changed in the last 10 years. What took you a week or more ten years ago will probably take you half that now. Definitely nothing to worry about. Give it the normal 3 to 4 weeks and bottle it up. Welcome back.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
MikeyM
Recipes 

Awesome, fellas. Thanks!

Last question - I'm kindof a fan of bottle conditioning rather than doing a secondary for this lighter wheat so there's nothing wrong with me leaving it in primary on the chrub for about 3 weeks total and then going right into the bottles, right?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
dancness
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's what I do. Secondaries are not needed unless your are adding something to your beer post fermentation (dry hops/fruit/etc).

Quick Reply