The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st AG w Soft water - can I just forget about it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
jbsg02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm no expert, but I think what you really are looking for are residual alkalinity when trying to determine what style of beer and SRM you will be brewing. From what I understand (which isn't much) your efficiency will drop some as your ph drops below 5.2. I believe a beer with an SRM of 38 would be best with a much higher residual alkalinity than what you probably have. That doesn't mean your beer won't be a success, and I'm speaking more from acquired knowledge than experience. best of luck with your first brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
shivalotus
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

Have you considered steeping your dark grains separately and mashing the rest?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivalotus View Post
Have you considered steeping your dark grains separately and mashing the rest?
I have, but I'm going to save that for another batch. I really just want to get my AG process and limitations down without fussing too much with the beer. I'm also new to fermenting in a corny and working my draught setup, so I'm going to leave the fine tuning to another brew. I simply wanted to make sure I wasn't wading into disaster by neglecting the water and I'm taking too long to make up my mind =)

I'm going to go ahead and brew the stout, adjusting the PH of the mash with Calcium Chloride and Calcium Carbonate if necessary, and maybe adding some Calcium Chloride to the kettle if not in the mash.

Thanks again, everyone.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
shivalotus
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

In case anyone wonders, I brewed without adjusting anything at all and in my opinion it turned out wonderful. I even lost way more temperature on my mash than anticipated, yet everything turned out fine. Everyone that tasted it thought it was great, and I was sad to see the last one go down.

Quick Reply