Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st AG recipe from scratch troubleshooting Black RyePA

View Poll Results: How is the recipe?
Great! Don't change a thing 0 0%
Good, Needs minor tweaking 2 100.00%
Average, Needs work, but a good start 0 0%
Bad! Needs major work/start over from scratch 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Rob1219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Yes, exactly right!
Gravity calculators will show it as an efficiency increase though, hence why I originally posted "more efficient"; your description is more accurate however.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Rob1219
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Hop schedule

I have decided to change the hop schedule. It's not a big difference but it does increase the IBUs, to a range more closely associated with IPAs, where as before I was probably closer to an APA. Changes:

60 min bittering hop boil (2 oz of Cascade)

45 min bittering hop boil (1oz. Centennial)

15 min flavor hop boil (2 oz Cascade), with a teaspoon Irish Moss

5 min flavor/aroma hop partial boil, cut heat source before adding (1 oz Centennial and 1 oz Simcoe or Australian Stella or Zythos- which ever I can get)

I'm still not convinced to change the main bittering hop from cascade, but I did raise the boil time to 60 min, add 1 oz centennial for 45 min and increase the final hop par-boil time from 2 min to 5 min. Using the same IBU calculator I used before, it went from ~60 IBUs to ~80 IBUs.

Hopefully the extra IBUs will balance the roasted/chocolate malt profile I'm expecting without overpowering the spiciness of the rye.

Just FYI New Belgium Ranger is 70 IBUs and I really like it, specifically the grapefruit notes from the cascade ( gotta be from cascade dry hopping). I'm not trying to copy that particular hop profile just using it as an example.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 209

IMO, there is really no reason to boil for 90 minutes with your grain bill and 60 minutes is plenty of time for your mash as well. If you were using a lot of Pilsner malt which can create a lot of DMS, 90 would be preferable. Also, with the amount of darker grains you have be sure your Ph is in the 5ish range. Astringency and tannin extraction can be an issue if Ph is high and you sparge over 170F.

If you are using software be sure your equipment is set up properly to calculate all of your volumes correct. You need to be sure you are properly calculating grain absorption, tun dead space, kettle loss etc. so you get proper efficiency and volume into your primary

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply