1st AG Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
Ok. I attempted my first AG batch. Right before I bottled I was surprised by how good it taste. After two to three weeks of carbonation. I popped one open and it tasted kind of sour. Taste completely different from before. I noticed a bunch of yeast in the bottom of the glass. I used liquid yeast. Did I just not syphon it correct when I bottled? I am OCD about cleaning and sanitizing so I know it couldn't be that. I am just dumbfounded by the bad taste. Can too much yeast alter the flavor?Any suggestions?

yeast in the glass or in the bottle?
if you're siphoning from a fermentor and not using a bottling bucket your going to get a lot of sediment in the bottles.
how did you sanitize the bottles?

We need a little more info about your process.

Did you use a bottling bucket?
What kind of priming sugar?
did the bottled beer get really hot?

Come to think of it. I think I forgot to transfer into bottling bucket. That's why there was soooo much sediment in each bottle. That's probably why I have that off taste.??????

Good possibility. Did you stir the priming sugar in?
Remember....before we pitch the yeast we want lots of oxygen
after fermentation is done we want NO oxygen
If you stir the priming sugar into the beer to vigorously you can oxygenate the finished beer, which in combination with a lot of yeast can lead to sour, cardboard, or just "not right" off flavors.
If you stirred it into the primary and kicked up the trub before you bottled, I'd bet it's your problem.

whitehause said:
Good possibility. Did you stir the priming sugar in?
Remember....before we pitch the yeast we want lots of oxygen
after fermentation is done we want NO oxygen
If you stir the priming sugar into the beer to vigorously you can oxygenate the finished beer, which in combination with a lot of yeast can lead to sour, cardboard, or just "not right" off flavors.
If you stirred it into the primary and kicked up the trub before you bottled, I'd bet it's your problem.

Thanks for the info. Now I know what I did wrong.

Back