Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st AG attempt "Holiday IPA" Advise?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
cmcgeehan151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1st AG attempt "Holiday IPA" Advise?

Hey all,

i'm ready equipment wise and i hope skill wise to try my hand at my first all grain attempt. I was thinking of making a "Holiday IPA" with a pretty simple grain bill to try. Something like:

12 lbs. American 2-row
.75 lbs. American Caramel 80°L
.25 lbs. Dextrine Malt

Then a hop schedule with maybe chinook, centennial and Citra.

I'm gonna download brewsmith to plug everything in.

I was also pondering of maybe holiday "extras" : lemon and orange zest, maybe crystallized or candied ginger and a cinnamon stick.

1st does this sound like a "good idea" as a first AG attempt? And would the "extras" go in at flameout or better somewhere else like seeped and the sterilized seeping liquid put in the bottle bucket or keg?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcgeehan151
Hey all,

i'm ready equipment wise and i hope skill wise to try my hand at my first all grain attempt. I was thinking of making a "Holiday IPA" with a pretty simple grain bill to try. Something like:

12 lbs. American 2-row
.75 lbs. American Caramel 80°L
.25 lbs. Dextrine Malt

Then a hop schedule with maybe chinook, centennial and Citra.

I'm gonna download brewsmith to plug everything in.

I was also pondering of maybe holiday "extras" : lemon and orange zest, maybe crystallized or candied ginger and a cinnamon stick.

1st does this sound like a "good idea" as a first AG attempt? And would the "extras" go in at flameout or better somewhere else like seeped and the sterilized seeping liquid put in the bottle bucket or keg?

Thanks!
IMO the cinnamon stick and zest go in secondary to taste, other spices last 10 minutes. I like fresh grated ginger personally, I use 2oz in my holiday ale.
I would also only select orange or lemon, not both.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply