Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st 10 gallon batch, any tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
blackwaterbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 1st 10 gallon batch, any tips?

what should my post boil volume be :11 gallons or 10.5 gallons?

what should my preboil volume be, do i just double everything?

i'm not worried, i just wondered if there were any tips for going from 5-10gallon batches.

thanks.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I use Brewsmith, and just have it scale the recipe. I usually shoot for 11 gallons into the fermentors (2 x 5.5 gallon). Just doubling would probably work too, to a good first approximation.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4939 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Keep in mind that your boiloff rate won't be a percentage, so when you scale up your recipe, you won't have to adjust the boil off. What I mean is that if you are using the same kettle, the boil rate will be the same whatever size batch you're making. If you boil off 1 gallon an hour, that will remain the same.

If you're using a new kettle, it could be different, especially if the new kettle is wider.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

so, using my same keggle, i would shoot for a pre-boil volume of 12 gallons, losing 1 gallon per hour to leave 11 gallons.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Keep this in mind too

Your mash tun will be more efficient with regards to temperature when using more grain IE be carefull not to overshoot your mash temp.

YES boil off is the same using the same kettle

Old 08-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i wish i had read thi first. i did overshoot the mash temp. no big deal, but it would have been nice to know. other than that, brew went off without a hitch.

thanks.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Overshoot is better than under at least! Then you can just stir or add bits of cold water or ice, NP.
I just started 10 gallon batches as well, just did my third. I am seriously needing a march pump now, I'm lifting and dumping like 8 gallons of hot strike, and lifting my keggle with the whole 13 or more gallons of preboil up onto a propane burner. I keep getting the awful feeling that my knees are going to buckle and I'll end up with a sticky smelly patio. This isn't a good method :P

Cheers and good luck

Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
manny101
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu View Post
Overshoot is better than under at least! Then you can just stir or add bits of cold water or ice, NP.
I just started 10 gallon batches as well, just did my third. I am seriously needing a march pump now, I'm lifting and dumping like 8 gallons of hot strike, and lifting my keggle with the whole 13 or more gallons of preboil up onto a propane burner. I keep getting the awful feeling that my knees are going to buckle and I'll end up with a sticky smelly patio. This isn't a good method :P

Cheers and good luck
That is what has kept me from going to 10 gallons. I don't have the equipment or don't know what equipment I would need.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterbrewer View Post
i wish i had read thi first. i did overshoot the mash temp. no big deal, but it would have been nice to know. other than that, brew went off without a hitch.
I'm always a little high because I would rather be over than under. Ice is easier than boiling water or getting out the heat stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
frogfree
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu View Post

Cheers and good luck
Using an intermediate container for the 13 gallons of wort, like a big cooler, you can transfer that to the keggle manually with a small, open container (like 2 quarts at a time). This will help avoid most of the heavy lifting.

Quick Reply