Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 15th AG session a Kolsch wow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
Gregg Meyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default 15th AG session a Kolsch wow

I just racked my first Kolsch to secondary. The alcohol % is 8% amazing. The stuff is clear gold with a great taste right out of the primary. I can't wait, the golden soup will truly be golden for Christmas time. My mentor came over to the man cave ten days ago and he watched me brew up this Kolsch recipe. i added 1.5 lbs of honey to the mix. maybe this was a mistake but I don't think so. I tasted the primary result and wow it will be killer when finally matured. All grain is kind of a pain in the A$$ but the results are worth the effort. Neighbor lady comes by the garage on brew day and says what are you doing? Why don't you just go to the store and buy it? I say no way especially after you have had some amazing home made stuff better than anything you have EVER had why waste you money on budweiser swill? They have no clue. Am I a beer snob now??? man I hope not, I still can drink a mass produced product. I just don't really want to plus making it myself is absolulty fasinating and cool at the same time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just put my second kolsch in the keg, and have my first batch in bottles (which was my first PM that convinced me AG was the way to go). as you can tell, I found Kolsch to be quite drinkable.

that's a high alcohol kolsch...a little too high for style actually.
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category6.html#style6C

but I am a big believer in 'brew what you wanna drink!'

shoot me a private message if you wanna swap Kolsch recipes. my grain bill is boring but the hop additions make it a winner in my book.

harvest that yeast if you can too. wyeast kolsch strain is pretty clean fermenting if you can keep it in the mid 60's. I'm planning an oktoberfest with some washed kolsch yeast since I'm not into lagering yet.

cheers!

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

8% I can see it now...."American Imperial Kolsch Style"

Quick Reply