The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 15 minute mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
JRoche00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 15 minute mash

Hey all,

I was listening to some Archives of my favorite beer radio show, The Brewing Network (http://thebrewingnetwork.com/) and there was an interview with the head brewer from TitleTown Brewery in Green Bay, WI.

He said that by using a wide and shallow mash bed as opposed to the tall compact design used by many homebrewers water cooler setups (myself included), you could achieve full mash in 15 minutes!

Apparently the guy does this now and swears by it. I use 60 minute mash on pretty much anything, and find this hard to swallow... but then again, I'm not a professional brewer (by any means).

Anyone had any experience with a shallow mash bed and these kinds of decreased mash times? I think I may give it a try with a giant tailgate cooler... 15 minutes??? Seriously?

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Frank Sinatra

The liver is evil... it must be punished...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've read about this type of thing before. Interesting, but I have my reservations. I doubt it would work for homebrewers - I'd think you need an awfully large mash tun to make it work.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

A local brewpub that I frequent actually does a 10 minute mash and 90 minute sparge. Makes good beer as well. He believes he gets less husk flavors this way but doesn't reduce his time that much. I never asked him if his grain bed is shallower than when he did longer rests. I suspect not based on his mash vessels. Did they comment if they extended their sparge time?

I've "contemplated" giving it a try but just can't get myself to tempt fate...

Last edited by DesertBrew; 01-10-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I wonder what the depth of the grain bed is.
I guess it will only work if you are fly sparging rather than batch sparging.

Last edited by Orfy; 01-10-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
eolle
Recipes 

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoche00
Hey all,

He said that by using a wide and shallow mash bed as opposed to the tall compact design used by many homebrewers water cooler setups (myself included), you could achieve full mash in 15 minutes!

Apparently the guy does this now and swears by it. I use 60 minute mash on pretty much anything, and find this hard to swallow... but then again, I'm not a professional brewer (by any means).

Anyone had any experience with a shallow mash bed and these kinds of decreased mash times? I think I may give it a try with a giant tailgate cooler... 15 minutes??? Seriously?
Hmm...enzyme kinetics are independent of the vessel size and shape. It is dependent on the concentration of substrate and the enzyme. 15 min mashes are possible in any shape cooler there is a vast excess of enzymes in todays grains. I've seen full conversion via iodine test in 15 minutes or less while doing decoction, in a 5 gal water cooler, and in a square cooler. Now I didn't use a spectrophotometer so there may have been some unconverted starch but since I did them all the same it doesn't really matter.

Now in theory it may be easier to get a lower water:girst ratio in different shape vessels but most people use about the same ratio. Also that would mean that concentration would be differnt and not directly due to vessel shape.

-Eric

Old 01-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
JRoche00
Recipes 

I believe it was a 20-30 minute sparge time. I would have to re-listen to the podcast, but if I remember correctly I believe he had said that a shallow bed allows more constant temperatures throughout the mash, less husk and tannin flavoring, and greater efficiency.

Again, I have not tried it, nor am I a science whiz (in fact, my motto when brewing is... "It's ok, it's not an exact science.") but it sounds like an interesting point. I plan on trying it out and will let everyone know my results.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Frank Sinatra

The liver is evil... it must be punished...

Old 01-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
DJP
Recipes 

I've heard that conversion often does only take 15 minutes or so and the hour or more recommended for home brewing is really just "To make sure". I stick to an hour because it allows me time to weigh out my hops and set up for sparging, but I suspect that some scientific testing of the mash (perhaps a little more exact than the standard starch end point test) would yield some surprising results - especially with today's malts.

And re the "Wide and shallow" grain bed, how shallow is "Shallow"? With home brew grain bills "Shallow" would be an inch or two, but with in a commercial process "Shallow" could still mean a grain bed several feet deep. There's a vast difference - especially when we consider temp control issues.

It's all interesting stuff though!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I couldn't possibly mash in 15 minutes. I wouldn't be well enough lubricated to complete the rest of the brew

-a.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #9
tundra45
Recipes 

First, 15 minutes can indeed fully convert modern 2-row malt. I believe that the shallow grain bed being better issue is more for decreasing the sparge time. Deeper grain beds require slower sparges to minimize channeling. Shallower grain beds simply have less vertical distance so less chance of channeling. At least that was my take on it.
Steve
Stevenson, WA

Old 01-11-2006, 01:55 AM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I suspect a shallow mash for a professional brewer would be a foot or so. The few pro mash tuns I've been in have been two to five feet deep. My mashes are rarely over 6 inches.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply