The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 15 days....still fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
SOMDBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 15 days....still fermenting

I made a Belgian wit on Jan 19th and its still fermenting. I used Wyeast brand Belgian Witbier yeast 3944. My OG was 1.057. Temp has ranged from 65 to 70 degrees over the last two weeks. I'm pretty anal about sterilizing so I don't think it's that, but the beer seems to be hazing up so I'm concerned. So do I have an infection or can this yeast strain really take this long to ferment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 7

By fermenting, do you mean still dropping the last couple points OR bubbling away like crazy? Lots of belgian yeast take their sweet time getting those last few points off.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

How have you determined it is still fermenting? Have you been checking gravity daily orlooking for bubbles coming thru the airlock? If you're counting bubbles then track the rate for a couple of days to determine if fermentation is winding down.

I'd let it run for a while longer. It doesn't sound like anything concerning is going on.

The haze is probably just yeast floating around.

Your temperature range is pretty reasonable. If your system spent more time at the lower end then fermentation will take a little longer.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMDBrewer
I made a Belgian wit on Jan 19th and its still fermenting. I used Wyeast brand Belgian Witbier yeast 3944. My OG was 1.057. Temp has ranged from 65 to 70 degrees over the last two weeks. I'm pretty anal about sterilizing so I don't think it's that, but the beer seems to be hazing up so I'm concerned. So do I have an infection or can this yeast strain really take this long to ferment.
The only way to KNOW is to take gravity readings. If you're sanitary, there's no real risk. Then you can make a decision based on facts. It does seem strange to me that a fairly low gravity ale with Belgian yeast is taking two weeks to finish.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

How do you know it's still fermenting, what's the gravity at now?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
SOMDBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't checked the gravity yet, that's my next step. It's going a stead 8 bubbles a minute. And has been at that rate for well over a week. I have yeast settling in the bottom but the krausen is healthy looking and 2-3 inches thick.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would let it keep ripping. Wait for it to slow down, and then take a reading.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

3944 is really gassy. I've had beers fermented with that yeast where the blowoff was still chugging away but the gravity reading indicated a finished product. Check it.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 698 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 215

I did some research on that same yeast today because I have the same problem and the answer I found came from Chris White so I assume he knows what he is talking about. He told the other brewer that this yeast likes it warm. How warm the other brewer asked? Like 90 F was the answer and when that other brewer tried it at 90 it finished quickly. Mine is slowly ramping up from 72 and was up to 78 this evening. I'll know in a couple more days.

Before I started this batch my research on this yeast said that it either is really slow (my case) or super fast. I suspect the temperature is the defining part of the equation. I kept mine at 62 for 3 days before slowly ramping it up.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
SOMDBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I don't think I can get it up to 90 but I can attempt to get it up to 80. I think after all the advice I'm going to check the gravity. If its done I'm going to take it to my basement and let the yeast slow down so that I can bottle it. I'll follow up tomorrow with the gravity.

Quick Reply