Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 13 Gallons of Vanished Wort??????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #21
annasdadhockey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If he absorbed 6 gallons, he's missing 7 gallons...assuming 1/2 ID hose for his lines,
7 gallons is equal to 1617 cubic inches...1 inch of hose can hold .19625 cubic inches(sorry I didn't show my work) divide 1617 by .19625 = 8239 inches, divide by 12 is about 687 feet of hose he would need to hold 7 gallons of wort/water. That's a lot of hose for a rig that size!!!

If he only absorbed 4, which seems to be about right, he's missing 9 gallons, which would require 883 feet of hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Last edited by annasdadhockey; 03-09-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #22
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

You've got to do a brew day with only water. It's going to be a pain but you have to do it at this point. Only water. Measure it out before you put it in the HLT/BK. Then check your gauges and make sure what goes in the system makes it to the BK. Then check your boil-off.

I think you have to replicate it. I mean, you didn't defy physics here. There's no black hole in your rig! Gotta do it again. Just do it with water only to save bucks.

What's tappening? :D

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #23
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasdadhockey View Post
If he absorbed 6 gallons, he's missing 7 gallons...assuming 1/2 ID hose for his lines,
7 gallons is equal to 1617 cubic inches...1 inch of hose can hold .19625 cubic inches(sorry I didn't show my work) divide 1617 by .19625 = 8239 inches, divide by 12 is about 687 feet of hose he would need to hold 7 gallons of wort/water. That's a lot of hose for a rig that size!!!
LOL... and no, I don't have 687 feet of plumbing... and I did use 1/2 copper.

Hey, honestly... if anyone can POSSIBLY think of something, please... keep firing away. I'm honestly not being all pissy and just saying "nope...that's not it... nope... that's not it"... it's just that, like I've said a couple times, we had six brewers, with a couple guys who have been doing all-grains for a long... long long time... and we checked everything that guys are tossing out and we were absolutely freakin' STUMPED.

Also.. it's probably an impossible task without actually standing in front of the thing but I still figured I would give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
You've got to do a brew day with only water. It's going to be a pain but you have to do it at this point. Only water. Measure it out before you put it in the HLT/BK. Then check your gauges and make sure what goes in the system makes it to the BK. Then check your boil-off.

I think you have to replicate it. I mean, you didn't defy physics here. There's no black hole in your rig! Gotta do it again. Just do it with water only to save bucks.
yeah, I think that's a great call....

It's not like I'm gonna toss the rig due to black holes, especially after all of the work I put into it...

but that's a great idea. I wonder if food coloring would stain my aluminum pots?? Maybe I'll put a few drops of food coloring into each pot so I know if they're leaking into each other. I completely understand the post before about that... but i don't see how that could be happening here.

ya never know though I guess.

Quote:

Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #25
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So on your sparges, you specifically saw half of the water disappear? Are you sure you somehow didn't just sparge once and somehow only use half the water you were supposed to?

Mathematically, there's no way this is possible if your measurements are correct. Therefore, you have to assume human error at one point.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #26
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Damn, here I was debating whether or not I should post that 8.5 gallons of extra wort appeared in my brew kettle yesterday from out of nowhere. I can ship it back if you want.

Seriously though, it has to be a measurement issue of some sort. Question is, can you duplicate it again or would you even want to?

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Did you somehow make 1/2 gallon marks on your HLT and gallon marks on your brew kettle?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #28
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
So on your sparges, you specifically saw half of the water disappear? Are you sure you somehow didn't just sparge once and somehow only use half the water you were supposed to?

Mathematically, there's no way this is possible if your measurements are correct. Therefore, you have to assume human error at one point.
It's got to be... there's no other explanation other than I defying the law of physics.... but I can't see where it could have possibly been.

...even some sort of way over the top insane absorbtion doesn't make sense as the grains weren't THAT heavy when I dumped them.

The pipes CAN'T hold that much (I used about 40 feet in total of 1/2 copper pipe).

The pots were empty and other than the very small amount of water that I drained out of the BK after adding my water to the MT... I emptied it into a small 4 gallon bucket so I COULDN"T have taken that much out. Other than that, I didn't take any water out of the thing.

I've gotta just go back and re-run the entire thing with just water and see what happens.

Quote:

Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #29
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Did you somehow make 1/2 gallon marks on your HLT and gallon marks on your brew kettle?
nope... used full gallon milk cartons... both my HLT and BK are 25 each and I marked off up to about 15 gallons on the side for the time being and both sets of mark end up a little over half way up the pot... it would be really obvious if I had done that.

I'm going to have to freakin' video my run with just water and post it on youtube.

Quote:

Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #30
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:

Positive... We had six guys standing there wathing the entire process.

Like you said, it's got to be a human error somewhere.... but where?

the ONLY thing I can think of that no one would know from the pictures or descriptions would be that my MT is a 20 gallon pot mounted inside a 30 gallon pot and then spray-foam insulation in between the two. Maybe my inside pot leaked and water is trapped inbetween the two but the MT doesn't weigh 500 pounds and the outside pot has a hole on the bottom... I would think at least sum would have to be dripping out of the bottom somewhere.

Quote:

Quick Reply