Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 11/12/07: The Tripel Twins (#49 and 50!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #21
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
Nice....you not worried about the aluminum/stainless controversy?
what controversy? You mean the irrational fear that some people have of getting Alzheimer's from using an aluminum stock pot to brew beer in, even though there's no real evidence to support it?

yeah, no, I'm not worried about that.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #22
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
what controversy? You mean the irrational fear that some people have of getting Alzheimer's from using an aluminum stock pot to brew beer in, even though there's no real evidence to support it?

yeah, no, I'm not worried about that.
obviously....so when you aren't around for a month...I'm going to stop using my AL pot to brew in

I'm back!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
obviously....so when you aren't around for a month...I'm going to stop using my AL pot to brew in
Dude, I'll still be around, I just won't remember that we had this conversation

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #24
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

are the saisons refermented with wild funk in the barrell like the lambics and flanders red/browns? sour is refreshing to those belgians , and i don't think your triple would suffer from a higher frement temp. gradual is the way though.

i'll dig up the quote about how high the one brother let the ferment temp get, for fear of crashing the yeast. he said the strain tolerated it and it was good. apparently they aim more for attenuation, and 'digestabilty'.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #25
” FlannagŠin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygoat
are the saisons refermented with wild funk in the barrell like the lambics and flanders red/browns? sour is refreshing to those belgians , and i don't think your triple would suffer from a higher frement temp. gradual is the way though.

i'll dig up the quote about how high the one brother let the ferment temp get, for fear of crashing the yeast. he said the strain tolerated it and it was good. apparently they aim more for attenuation, and 'digestabilty'.
I don't think saisons are refermented like that, but I don't know for sure. Maybe some are, some aren't? I'm actually enjoying one of my last few saison's right now. I let this bugger hit 85+ after a day of fermentation. It is AWESOME!

As far as letting the trappist/abbey yeasts hit that temp. I dunno, worth an experiment, but probably not while you are already doing a taste comparison experiment. I say keep it at 70-71 and below.

I like that recipe, Evan ... very nice. Yours will be within the SRM range, no?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #26
Evan!

Recipes 

Yeah, I'll be under 6 if all my grains were what ProMash assumes.

Sure smells tasty and malty in my brewery right now. They're both chugging away like pros...holding at 68f.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #27
Evan!

Recipes 

Oh, and no, I've never heard of a Saison being refermented like a lambic or flanders sour.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #28
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Dude, I'll still be around, I just won't remember that we had this conversation
ahh, ok

(and my brewery smells great too!)

I'm back!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #29
Evan!

Recipes 

Well, I went out of town for the weekend and returned to both batches having finished (pretty much) and having dropped their krausens. I tested and sampled both of them last night. The Chimay is at 1.015 (down from 1.080) and the Rochefort is at 1.016 (down from 1.080). The sample both tasted freakin' incredible. And unless I told you, you would NOT guess that the recipes are identical save for the yeast. They are immensely different, much more so than I expected (and I expected a lot). The Rochefort is cleaner and warmer, the Chimay has more Belgian esters and has a rounder mouthfeel, despite being about the same FG. These are both winners, and I can't wait to get them in bottle.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #30
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Oh, and no, I've never heard of a Saison being refermented like a lambic or flanders sour.
You have now That's what the Fantome dreggs are for, I haven't cultured them yet though - that starter you commented on was from the Oerbier Reserve and a Kriek. I've heard that Fantome works well though, and that they can work in as little as three months to funkify/sour.

Glad to hear they're both turning out so well, if you're still planning on blending some of the two batches I think it'll be great to see how the blend ends up tasting.

Quick Reply