New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 101st stuck fermentation thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
oguss0311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 101st stuck fermentation thread

And seriously, let me apologize for picking up the whip and walking over to a dead horse. But in the pages of threads about this- I didn't get the info I want.

Here is what I did.

I mashed
4lbs of 2-row
2lbs of crystal 10L
1lbs of Morris Otter
at 153 for an hour in a 5 gal cooler. I mashed out with 4 more qrts of strike water and put it into the kettle. (My first runnings were 1.070- I thought that was decent- though irrelevant)
I boiled this and added 3lbs of LDME with 15 min left. (Plus my hop additions, Irish moss, etc)

I had made a starter the about 36 hours prior, and it was doing well. Plenty of yeast at the bottom. It was Wyeast 1056. I cooled the wort by adding it to several gal of near frozen spring water. It was still a little warm (82 F) I pitched anyway, knowing that this was Too Dang high. Don't ask me why. I know I'm a bad person.
Anyhow- noticeable fermentation started within a few hours, and it was still Really warm. So I put the Carboy on the stairs to the storm doors leading out of the basement. That dropped the temp down faster than I would have thought. The next morning it was 72, and this afternoon it was 68. But all Noticeable signs of fermentation (IE activity in airlock, and more Krausen developing) had all but ceased.
I've never used this yeast before. I've never dropped the temp so fast in actively fermenting beer. I've never been stupid enough to pitch at temps higher than I know to be desirable. I did not really aerate more than passing the wort back and forth between kettle and carboy twice because I know that with the addition of spring water, there is plenty of O2 in there.
So I'm left wondering if the rapid temp change has upset my colony of yeast,- if this strain is known for such behavior, -if maybe the starter was not as good as I had thought (I did get the thing up and running in like- 3 hours).
Please guide/advice me- I'm not sure what action- if any- to take.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

With a big starter, that 1056 yeast can be quick. What was the actual OG (if I missed in in your post I'm sorry) and what is the SG now?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd relax, swirl it around a few times and give it another 24 hours and if still no signs of fermentation repitch.

GT

Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't post it- mostly b/c with 3lbs of LDME, I consider a true and accurate OG reading a little hard- as I make no efforts to mix it well enough for the extract sugar to be thoroughly mixed.
But what I did get was 1.054. And seeing as its been in the carboy for not even 25 hours, I didn't take one recently. Should I? I have never heard of a 24 hour fermentation. Not that my boots have walked that far.

Edit: Right, and for some context, I was responding to Yooperbrews questions. I forgot to "Quote". Dang it.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Well, I wouldn;t consider it stuck without an SG reading. BUT, it doesn't sound stuck, it sounds like it could be finished. You can wait until a week is up, and check the sg. Or, if you are anxious and can't wait- you can check it now.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub?
I'd relax, swirl it around a few times and give it another 24 hours and if still no signs of fermentation repitch.

GT
Good, I find that reassuring- as I did do just that for starters. I'm gonna have to run to my least fav. HBS if I indeed do need to repitch. (Sigh).
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #7
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After the swirling and hour ago, I notice some increased airlock activity. But the Krausen is still the lowest of all yeasts/batches of beer I have seen. Is that typical?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

1056 should be working well at those temps even though you cooled it. Once the yeast gets working it can ferment in the low 60's just fine. I would keep it at 68 to 66 but it sounds to me that to ease your mind you should check the gravity and see where it stands. I get plenty of krausen with 1056 so I don't think it is typical.

Gary

Old 04-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

But.............it was very warm for a while. That might have been to have it ferment out overnight. That's what my thinking is.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #10
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Deffinately check the SG before you do anything as drastic as re-pitch.

Corrupt Brewers

Quick Reply