Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 100% Brett Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 100% Brett Beer

I have 4 sour beers going now, but the problem is they require a long time to complete. On the latest episode of basicbrewingradio.com I learned that when you use brett exclusively to ferment your beer it can be done in the same time as beer brew with saccharomyces(reg. yeast) and does not super attenuate/dry the beer. WLP653 Brettanomyces lambicus & WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii have been ordered and when they arrive I will be brewing the following with each seperately:

85% Euro Pils
5% Munich Malt
10% Wheat Malt
Mash at 152*F for 90 minutes
Hops: Tettnanger & Saaz

Basically a saison recipe. What do you think? Anybody brewed an all brett beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Made a starter today. I'm going to build it up for 1.5 weeks( brew in a week and a half) and make a small batch - probably two gallons. Then I'll have a good size cake to brew a full batch once its done. 1st up is Brett C, I'll post how it turns out.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Add some acid malt to lower the pH, use it at a percentage of 4-5% in the wort. Brettanomyces require low pH to ferment properly, around 3.5pH. I make an all Brett beer, I like it a lot, but a lot of people are reluctant to try it. Scientists don't know the exact reasons why only when Peddiococus is in the presence of Brettanomyces will the fermentation be super dry (+90% attenuation). My personal favorite for all Brett beer is Brettanomyces Anomalus, it's vigorous yet fruity and balanced. In your case, I would use WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 AM   #4
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Add some acid malt to lower the pH, use it at a percentage of 4-5% in the wort. Brettanomyces require low pH to ferment properly, around 3.5pH. I make an all Brett beer, I like it a lot, but a lot of people are reluctant to try it. Scientists don't know the exact reasons why only when Peddiococus is in the presence of Brettanomyces will the fermentation be super dry (+90% attenuation). My personal favorite for all Brett beer is Brettanomyces Anomalus, it's vigorous yet fruity and balanced. In your case, I would use WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii.

Last edited by Iordz; 10-17-2007 at 01:42 AM.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
Thanks for the tips, this starter is wlp645. What was your recipe/s?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #6
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

60% Pilsener
20% Vienna
10% Flaked Wheat (malted can be used)
5% Flaked Oats
5% Acidulated Malt (Sauer)
Info:The proteins from the flaked grains are good for the Brett. The sauer malt provides proper pH.
Mash: 90min @ 149F (I like my beer dry, you can mash higher for sweeter beer)Hops: Hallertau, 20-25IBU
Boil: 90min to get rid of DMS from pils malt.
Wyeast 3110 (Brettanomyces Anomalus), ferment at 65F for two weeks, then cold condition around 55F for 4 weeks.
I like to dry hop this with some Hallertau or Tettnang, just a touch to compliment the aroma from the Brett.
I don't think this beer fits into any style category, but I love it. I got the inspiration after reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow (great book). I have also learned a lot from "The Mad Fermentationist", Michael Tonsmeire, check out his blog.
Try to get you hands on Tomme Arthur's "Moe Betta Bretta," brilliant!

Last edited by Iordz; 10-17-2007 at 04:09 AM.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:28 AM   #7
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
I have also learned a lot from "The Mad Fermentationist", Michael Tonsmeire, check out his blog.
That's hilarious, I just met him. He really inspired/directed me into trying a lot of what I'm getting into with brett/etc. I got to taste some of his amazing brett beers. Really a nice guy, we're talking about trying to get a brew in together.
P.S. Yes, one of them was the Bourbon Brett Cherry Belgian Dark. Amazing beer.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, you met him, that's awesome! I don't know how I found his blog, but I found it and it's great. Another great brewer is Raj Apte, I learned about him from Wild Brews and check out his site and paper on Flemish "Sour" Ales. I learned the $1 barrel technique from him and use it on my Flanders Ales.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just a note here to let you know I'm lurking this thread and googling as fast as I can.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Just a note here to let you know I'm lurking this thread and googling as fast as I can.
I saved it for when I have some more time. Sometime soon I'd like to brew a beer with Brett yeast and with 65 degrees for primary, 55 for secondary, it will be possible for me this winter at room temps.

Thanks for the recipie Iordz. I have some hallertauer that was harvested in August and this looks like a good way to use some of it.

Quick Reply