Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 10 vs. 5 Gallon Equipment Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
Orpheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default 10 vs. 5 Gallon Equipment Kits

I'm thinking of getting this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/f...uxe-ags-10.jpg

I'm planning on doing 5 gallon batches for the foreseeable future. Any reason I might want to splurge and get the 10 gallon system?

EDIT: Oh yes, also I was wondering if the $199 price tag for this kit is overly extravagant as compared with making it myself? Would I be paying much less if I just bought two rubbermaid coolers and all the hoses, fittings, and false bottom myself?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
fritz_monroe
Recipes 

Seems pretty high priced to me, but I'm new here and only do extract right now. The coolers are about $25 to $30 each. And if you are planning on doing 5 gallon batches for a while, why bother getting the 10 gallon setup? Just have another 5 gallon cooler to take up space.

If you were talking about getting the brew pot that could handle the 10 gallons vs. just 5, then I'd say go for the bigger pot for future growth, but with coolers, it's just a matter of adding another one.

F_M

Check out my homestead blog

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Get the 10 gallon, here is why. Making a high gravity 5 gallon beer will require it, period. Also, if you are making Heffes or anything with step mashing, you can use that 10 gallon cooler to perform muli-step infusion mashes. You can buy 10 gallon coolers for $50 each.... build ball valves for $15 each... build through the wall thermometers for $10 each, false bottom for $28 and a SS sparge arm for $40... that is what I am using now and it costs... um, carry the one.... Regardless, get a 10 gallon cooler system, the 5 gallon will last you a year at best before you realize how limited you really are with it.

$220 fully assembled.

Pol

Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

PS when you are discussing the volume of a MLT, you cannot simply add another 5 gallon cooler to do a larger mash (more grain or water or both)... you will be doing two mashes then, and that is not even attractive.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I'm thinking of getting this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/f...uxe-ags-10.jpg

I'm planning on doing 5 gallon batches for the foreseeable future. Any reason I might want to splurge and get the 10 gallon system?

EDIT: Oh yes, also I was wondering if the $199 price tag for this kit is overly extravagant as compared with making it myself? Would I be paying much less if I just bought two rubbermaid coolers and all the hoses, fittings, and false bottom myself?
That price is reasonable--you might be able to find the coolers on the cheap at Home Depot...but then you've got some work to do. I say drop the 2 hunge on this system, and definitely get a 10 gallon set-up. With the 5 gallon system you will be limited to about a 1.074 beer--which means no Imperial anything in your future.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

With a 10 gallon cooler system you can do a 3 step infusion mash at an OG of 1.060... Rest at 122F, Rest at 153F and a mash out at 168F. I have a spreadsheet that will calculate the water volumes and temps, also warn me if I am going to exceed the volume of my tun...

Old 05-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I had this same debate myself and was finally convinced to get the 10 gallon set up. I've never maxed it out but I have used 15 pounds of grain in my DFH clone and it would have never worked in the 5 gallon set up. I don't see me EVER doing 10 gallon batches but I love the 10 gallon set up. I bought the MLT from morebeer.com and didn't get the hot liquor tank. So, I batch sparge. I bought my MLT with the false bottom and bulkhead fitting all done, for $110 delivered (or thereabouts) and am happy I did.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Want an EASY way to a through the wall thermometer??? HUH?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 AM   #9
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

"If you build it they will come"........oh wait wrong movie!
I say build it yourself and use the savings for your first batch, also go with the 10 gal, Just incase.

Cheers

Old 05-09-2007, 03:11 AM   #10
Big Al

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dunno, I just upgrade my 5 Gal to a 10 gal Mash the other day (yes, POL after 2 beers I realized I needed more space)

I'd check here: http://brewd00d.infinites.net/

Prices are pretty good. Another thing I like about having the square MT instead of the deep round one is it's easier to stir and get a good mix out of it. Buy the 10 gal Sparge vessel if you really need it, but for the cooler, I'd just go with the 60 Quart at this site and save yourself a little money.

Primary - If it's not Scottish it's CRAP Ale
Primary Imperial IPA
Secondary -
Bottled and drinking: Hey!Hey! IPA, Land of Oz Barleywine #2, Caramel Creme Ale, Red Stripe Lager Clone

RIP: Oatmeal Stout, Octoberfestivus, 777 RPA, Fat Tire Clone (1st AG), Experimental Honey Brown

Quick Reply