10 Gallon Northern brew all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virtualbrew

Reaction score
If I buy the 10 gallon all grain kit to brew 5 gallon batches. What size pot do I need. Upgrading from extract...

Usually a minimum of 7 gallons. However I would go with a 10 or 15. 95% of home brewers upgrade and a larger kettle will save you money in the future if you ever plan to make larger batches.

10 gallons. I never even came close to a boil with a preboil volume of 7.5 gallons.

I use an 8 gallon kettle for all of my brewing, which is primarily all-grain 5 gallon batches.

I lose about 1 gallon in a 60 min boil and overshoot by about another half gallon for trub losses (kettle and fermentor), so that puts me at a pre-boil volume of 6.5 gallons. With 4% volume increase due to the boiling temperature, that'll take up about 6.76 gallons, which leaves me with about 1.24+ gallons of headspace in the kettle for things like a wort chiller, heatstick, or just boilover safety.

Latest posts

Back