Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 10 Gallon Biab split into 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
whiskeyjack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 10 Gallon Biab split into 2

Ive searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer to this question. I have a 15 gallon brew kettle, and it is big enough to do a full 10 gallon boil, but it's not big enough to do a full 10 gallon biab mash. So what I thought I could do was split it into two. Take half the grains, do my normal 5 gallon biab for 90 minutes, then put that wort into a bucket/extra kettle, then do another 5 gallon mash. Once that's complete add the original wort to the mix and do my normal 90 minute boil for the full 12+ gallons that I have. My question is, will this hurt/affect the original wort sitting in a brew pot for 90+ minutes not receiving heat ?

"Many mules have matched wits with me, yet almost all have failed!" Pust

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
frogguruami
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No answer for you but I am subbing because I was wondering the same thing earlier today!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I cannot imagine there would be a problem. I would use the iodine method to make sure that the sugars are fully converted in both batches. Then take refracto readings for sanity. If pre-boil readings are real close you should be good to go.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 45

What BIAB method are you using? Filling the BK with the total water for the brew?
If you are you could try mashing with 1.25 - 1.5 qt/lb and then rinsing the grain once you remove the bag till you have your required volume.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
ShakerD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I wondered this myself a few times.

I usually use ~7.5 gallons of water for 5 gallons of final wort. You wouldn't boil as much off so you wouldn't need 15g total water to end with 10g of wort.... right?

What if you figured out how much total water you needed and put it in the kettle, then mashed half the grain bill for 90 min. Reheated and mashed the other half in the same water for 90 min? I dunno just an idea.

I am curious as to what you end up doing and how it works out.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
whiskeyjack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

@gunner65 TY for the iodine test I will do that to make sure its good to go, but with a 60 minute mash @ 152ish and then raise temp to 168 for mash out for 20 minutes I should have pretty good conversion right ?

@Mattd2 I do the full amount of water with my biab, so I would do a 5 gallon batch with 8 gallons or so for my IPA's

Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
whiskeyjack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

@Gunner...So the original wort, it won't hurt it if it chills for like an hour and a half prior to bringing it to boil ?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyjack View Post
@Mattd2 I do the full amount of water with my biab, so I would do a 5 gallon batch with 8 gallons or so for my IPA's
Yeah, so what I was talking about is more of a "traditional" method of mash then sparge so that you wouldn't need the full water and the grain to be in the pot all at once. Basically mash with the volume of water you would in the non-BIAB method, then lift the bag out and rinse with water until you hit your preboil volume. This is how I do it (but for only 3 gallon batches), so one thing that might be a pain is holding the bag while rinsing. But what I have just started to do is put the bag in another bucket after lifting it out of the pot (you could use your fermenter if you use buckets not carboys) and doing a batch sparge in there and giving it a good stir then dumping it into the pot. I did 2x sparges like this on my last batch. I read somewhere on here that the temperature of the sparge water is not all that critical for rinsing the grains out (if you want to get a good mash out to stop enzymes temp is critical).

Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyjack View Post
@Gunner...So the original wort, it won't hurt it if it chills for like an hour and a half prior to bringing it to boil ?
I know of several posts where the mention of mashing and sparging one day then boiling the next. Maybe someone of more experience could chime in. I really cannot see how chilled wort that is re-heated could have issues. You could mash into a cooler or other insulated vessel which would probably keep the temp up over the next batch time.

As for full conversion I only mentioned iodine for sanity checking YMMV.

What you do need to do is report back here with how everything goes so others can learn. I know I am interested. Good luck!

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'd just make it a partial mash and pick up some DME.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply