10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderbock

Reaction score
I've been doing 5 gallon batches and am moving up to 10 gallon batches. Using beersmith I've made the change for the recipes, but was wondering if there were any hidden changes that might occur especially with the mashing in. I use a 70 Qt rectangular cooler with SS braid. I warm my cooler up before mashing in. With my 5 gallon batches I had to use 178 degree water to maintain a temp of 154. With the greater amount of grain, but the decrease in head space, should I expect any major changes in the temperatures I see?

Good question! I too will be brewing my first 10G batch soon, and would like to know of any tips/tricks or things to look out for.

After tremendous feedback, I assumed it was not a lot different. Brewed a 10 gallon batch of ESB Sunday, no real difference at all except for the volume. No temperature changes at all, and took the same amount of time as my 5 gallon batches.
Its nice to do the work and now have twice the beer.

Back