Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1 mash, 2 beers, not partigyle, here's my plan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default 1 mash, 2 beers, not partigyle, here's my plan

What do you think of this plan. the short version is I want to mash with enough grain to run off about 13.5 gallons of wort (+ 1 gallon at the end into another kettle) that I can split into 2 kettles.

I will be making a IPA and a APA from the wort, I will have all the runnings in a keg, mix well so it is all the same gravity, should be 1.050 pre boil. Run 6.3 gallons into another kettle and sparge 1 last gallon out of the mash/tun to dilute the wort for the APA. In theory I should have 1.050 preboil wort for the IPA and 1.042 preboil wort for the APA.

Then boil from there with their respective hop bills.

Has anyone done this, seems like a pretty easy way to make 2 beers.

The grain bill will be:

19.5 lbs 2-row 88%
1.13 lbs cara/pils 5%
.75 lbs crystal 40 3.39%
.75 lbs white wheat malt 3.39%

The IPA will be a blind pig clone and the other will be a first time APA recipe with summit and willamette I am thinking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Other than not understanding why you think this isn't a partigyle ...

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Other than not understanding why you think this isn't a partigyle ...
Ok, I thought the partigyle thing was having one high gravity brew with one more session beer. I guess this is pretty much the same thing expect I am getting two close, normal gravity brews out of it.

So does partigyle esseintially mean 2 beers out of the same mash? no matter what the beers are?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Did I word the OP perfectly? No responses, I guess this will be as smooth as butter when I mash it.

But like David said, I guess this is technically still a parigyle and I am just a beginner still and don't know what I am talking about

Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

It is still a partigyle (2 brews from one mash) you're just taking all the runnings and mixing them, then diluting the second one, where a traditionally thought partigyle will use the first runnings only for one big beer, and the subsequent runnings for a smaller one.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me, I say go for it

Old 11-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just did this exact thing on Monday. 20 lb grain bill. First kettle boiled immediately and then dosed with WY Lambic blend. Second kettle was set aside to sour with wild lacto overnight and boiled on Tuesday.

I did not think of this as a partigyle either. Partigyle to me also is when you take the first runnings as one batch and the sparge runnings as another batch. You get two completely different worts from the traditional partigyle process. With what we did you get two identical preboil worts. To me that makes a huge difference between what we did and a true partigyle.

By literal definition what we did is a partigyle but in practice it departs from the spirit of what partigyle is all about.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I just did this exact thing on Monday. 20 lb grain bill. First kettle boiled immediately and then dosed with WY Lambic blend. Second kettle was set aside to sour with wild lacto overnight and boiled on Tuesday.

I did not think of this as a partigyle either. Partigyle to me also is when you take the first runnings as one batch and the sparge runnings as another batch. You get two completely different worts from the traditional partigyle process. With what we did you get two identical preboil worts. To me that makes a huge difference between what we did and a true partigyle.

By literal definition what we did is a partigyle but in practice it departs from the spirit of what partigyle is all about.
Good to hear, it seems pretty simple, I hope it turns out that way. It would be nice to get 2 beers out of 1 brew session. I have done 2 beers at the same time with 2 different mash/tuns but that is a lot of work dealing with both and all the sparging etc...

Quick Reply