Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1 Gallon Mash in 5 Gallon Mash Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
TyeInwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1 Gallon Mash in 5 Gallon Mash Tun

I hope I am in the right area and I've been looking for some more advice on this subject for a while. I have built a 5 gallon mash tun and was wondering if anyone has experienced doing smaller batches in a 5 gallon mash tun (i.e. 1-3 gallon) batches due to space issues living in the city and it will allow me to experiment and doing multiple batches.

Cheers,

Tye

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
panfishrfun
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I just brewed a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot. I did it as a brew in a bag, with all the grains (I think 4.5 lbs) in a large grain bag. I mashed with 4.25 gallons of water and lost another gallon during the boil, leaving me with just about 3 gallons. I did it to use up some leftover hops I had lying around, but the process was quick and easy, and would be a great way for cheap experiments. I could even split this batch into 3 - 1 gallon batches and add vanilla, oak chips, fruit, dry hop, etc. Hope this helped, and happy brewing

Old 02-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
ShadyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done that, but I made a aluminum foil "cap". I fold some foil a couple of times and pushed it down on top of the mash. It held temps really well

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 02-23-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
farmskis
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I do 3 gal batches with my 5 gallon mash tun. That works perfect. I would think I might be able to go a little smaller with this set up but anything smaller and I am would think that my grain bed would be really too shallow to get the proper mash. That is where the BIAB comes in....

Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
TyeInwood
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the tips helps a lot
Cheers,
Tye

Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
Clintaurus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The first 1 gal batch I did in a 5 gal mash tun and it didn't turn out as good as I hoped. I had a hard time keeping my temp right and didn't get a good conversion. I built a MLT out of a 13 quart cooler with a manifold false bottom and it works perfectly for 5 to 6 lbs of grain or smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I mash batches that are too small for my equipment I expect lower efficiency, but overall it'll still make beer. Maybe buy a few pounds of DME for the first few brews until you can get a consistent efficiency number.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
sumbrewindude
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyBrewer View Post
I've done that, but I made a aluminum foil "cap". I fold some foil a couple of times and pushed it down on top of the mash. It held temps really well

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Yep, this works great.

The real trick is to pre-heat the MLT before you add the grains. I usually over heat the strike water by a few deg, add it to the cooler, then let it coast down to the strike temp and add grain. Doing this I've been able to hold temp with the lid on and no foil (3#'s grain, 1.5gal batch in a 5gal cooler).

Primaries: Marches Mild
Bottled: K23 (last one!)
Kegged: Harvest Graf 2014, DPA Clone, Dampfbier, Hornet ESB
On Deck: All Brews Subject to Change With No Reason - loving small batch brewing AND Kegging!

Quick Reply