Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1.107 OG BW down to 1.024 in 72 hours.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default 1.107 OG BW down to 1.024 in 72 hours.

I've seen some aggressive ferments in my 3 years of brewing but damn. As with any of my strong ales, I like to pitch on the cake of a week old primary. This time it was an American Amber that was fermented on a combo of US-05 and Nottingham. I removed about half the cake to leave some extra head room in the fermenter (some of it got added into the Amber's secondary because I don't like taking all the yeast away so soon) and racked the 1.107 wort on top. The blowoff bucket was bubbling within 20 minutes and sounded like a lawnmower running an hour later.

The ferment temp was controlled at 67F the whole time.

It just about stopped after 2 days but I finally checked the gravity at 72 hours and 1.024. 11% ABV in 3 days. The blowoff bucket had a 1/2 gallon of solid trub in the bottom.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

FrackinA that's how it's done kids

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
krops13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

WOW! How long will you age that before keg/bottling.

Translation: Relax don't worry have a home brew and don't be a ****!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
Oh the things I would do to that pint.
California Common Pint

Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

It will go in a secondary in about two weeks where I'll add some oak and wait for it to clear up for a month. From there into a keg and I'll try to forget about it for at least a year. One of my best beers ever was a BW I brewed in June08 and I only have two bottles left :-(

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like hungry yeast. Question for you, do you just drop your hydrometer in to the brew bucket to test? if so, I am starting to see a benefit using a brew bucket instead of just using a glass carboy (like I do). I NEVER test my SG during the ferment, ever. I have had good success just letting 'er ferment out for 3 + weeks and bottling. Using a wine thief out of the carboy is just not worth my time, but it would be interesting to test bigger OG beers during the ferment. Maybe I should grab a brewbucket....

Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I've seen some aggressive ferments in my 3 years of brewing but damn. As with any of my strong ales, I like to pitch on the cake of a week old primary. This time it was an American Amber that was fermented on a combo of US-05 and Nottingham. I removed about half the cake to leave some extra head room in the fermenter (some of it got added into the Amber's secondary because I don't like taking all the yeast away so soon) and racked the 1.107 wort on top. The blowoff bucket was bubbling within 20 minutes and sounded like a lawnmower running an hour later.

The ferment temp was controlled at 67F the whole time.

It just about stopped after 2 days but I finally checked the gravity at 72 hours and 1.024. 11% ABV in 3 days. The blowoff bucket had a 1/2 gallon of solid trub in the bottom.

Nice!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bobby, my 120 minute IPA did some crazy ass fermenting like that too. It was like one packet of US-05 and two packets of nottinghams for a ~1.100 malt bomb, mashed real low for max attenuation.... it went to like 1.010 or some madness! Yeah, gotta wait another few weeks for yeasty clean-up before you rack it, then another 6 months before you tap that sucker.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Sounds like hungry yeast. Question for you, do you just drop your hydrometer in to the brew bucket to test? if so, I am starting to see a benefit using a brew bucket instead of just using a glass carboy (like I do). I NEVER test my SG during the ferment, ever. I have had good success just letting 'er ferment out for 3 + weeks and bottling. Using a wine thief out of the carboy is just not worth my time, but it would be interesting to test bigger OG beers during the ferment. Maybe I should grab a brewbucket....
Besides my keg and conical, I pretty much use only buckets. They are UV light resistant, allow easier dry hopping and access (no thief required) and easier to clean.
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 02-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Nope, I just use a turkey baster to pull a sample. I normally don't take SG readings mid ferment but I was a little worried I had a weird stuck ferment due to the inactivity so early.

New Stuff?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Nope, I just use a turkey baster to pull a sample. I normally don't take SG readings mid ferment but I was a little worried I had a weird stuck ferment due to the inactivity so early.
Ahhh gotcha... I looked for one after I replied to your post, and it turns out they do not really exist around my area. I would have to mail order and pay out the ying-yang for shipping. Thanks though

Quick Reply