Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1.107 OG BW down to 1.024 in 72 hours.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default 1.107 OG BW down to 1.024 in 72 hours.

I've seen some aggressive ferments in my 3 years of brewing but damn. As with any of my strong ales, I like to pitch on the cake of a week old primary. This time it was an American Amber that was fermented on a combo of US-05 and Nottingham. I removed about half the cake to leave some extra head room in the fermenter (some of it got added into the Amber's secondary because I don't like taking all the yeast away so soon) and racked the 1.107 wort on top. The blowoff bucket was bubbling within 20 minutes and sounded like a lawnmower running an hour later.

The ferment temp was controlled at 67F the whole time.

It just about stopped after 2 days but I finally checked the gravity at 72 hours and 1.024. 11% ABV in 3 days. The blowoff bucket had a 1/2 gallon of solid trub in the bottom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

FrackinA that's how it's done kids

Old 02-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
krops13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

WOW! How long will you age that before keg/bottling.

Translation: Relax don't worry have a home brew and don't be a ****!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
Oh the things I would do to that pint.
California Common Pint

Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

It will go in a secondary in about two weeks where I'll add some oak and wait for it to clear up for a month. From there into a keg and I'll try to forget about it for at least a year. One of my best beers ever was a BW I brewed in June08 and I only have two bottles left :-(

Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like hungry yeast. Question for you, do you just drop your hydrometer in to the brew bucket to test? if so, I am starting to see a benefit using a brew bucket instead of just using a glass carboy (like I do). I NEVER test my SG during the ferment, ever. I have had good success just letting 'er ferment out for 3 + weeks and bottling. Using a wine thief out of the carboy is just not worth my time, but it would be interesting to test bigger OG beers during the ferment. Maybe I should grab a brewbucket....

Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I've seen some aggressive ferments in my 3 years of brewing but damn. As with any of my strong ales, I like to pitch on the cake of a week old primary. This time it was an American Amber that was fermented on a combo of US-05 and Nottingham. I removed about half the cake to leave some extra head room in the fermenter (some of it got added into the Amber's secondary because I don't like taking all the yeast away so soon) and racked the 1.107 wort on top. The blowoff bucket was bubbling within 20 minutes and sounded like a lawnmower running an hour later.

The ferment temp was controlled at 67F the whole time.

It just about stopped after 2 days but I finally checked the gravity at 72 hours and 1.024. 11% ABV in 3 days. The blowoff bucket had a 1/2 gallon of solid trub in the bottom.

Nice!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bobby, my 120 minute IPA did some crazy ass fermenting like that too. It was like one packet of US-05 and two packets of nottinghams for a ~1.100 malt bomb, mashed real low for max attenuation.... it went to like 1.010 or some madness! Yeah, gotta wait another few weeks for yeasty clean-up before you rack it, then another 6 months before you tap that sucker.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Sounds like hungry yeast. Question for you, do you just drop your hydrometer in to the brew bucket to test? if so, I am starting to see a benefit using a brew bucket instead of just using a glass carboy (like I do). I NEVER test my SG during the ferment, ever. I have had good success just letting 'er ferment out for 3 + weeks and bottling. Using a wine thief out of the carboy is just not worth my time, but it would be interesting to test bigger OG beers during the ferment. Maybe I should grab a brewbucket....
Besides my keg and conical, I pretty much use only buckets. They are UV light resistant, allow easier dry hopping and access (no thief required) and easier to clean.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
Nope, I just use a turkey baster to pull a sample. I normally don't take SG readings mid ferment but I was a little worried I had a weird stuck ferment due to the inactivity so early.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Nope, I just use a turkey baster to pull a sample. I normally don't take SG readings mid ferment but I was a little worried I had a weird stuck ferment due to the inactivity so early.
Ahhh gotcha... I looked for one after I replied to your post, and it turns out they do not really exist around my area. I would have to mail order and pay out the ying-yang for shipping. Thanks though

Quick Reply