Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1.030 final gravity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Two weeks for something that heavy on oak shouldn't be a problem. I put a beer that was much lighter and far more "delicate" on oak for two weeks (4 oz. of light toast oak) and it is no where close to overpowering. I'd think the flavors of the oak will fit with what you've described so well it should work great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
Two weeks for something that heavy on oak shouldn't be a problem. I put a beer that was much lighter and far more "delicate" on oak for two weeks (4 oz. of light toast oak) and it is no where close to overpowering. I'd think the flavors of the oak will fit with what you've described so well it should work great.
Thanks!

Well, after stirring it like a madman a couple days ago, I took another reading today and it's still dead on at 1.030. Looks like all the rousing did was make it cloudy. I'm going to call it final gravity and bottle this weekend.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If a beer is done, it is done, and it doesn't really matter what the FG of the beer is. My OG 1.170 5 year aging barelywine for my 50th birthday in a couple more years finished at 1.040 and that was with two different yeasts, a ton of oxygen, and lots of nutrients.

The beer ain't going any lower. And at 17.3 % abv, it doesn't really need to. So I'm not worried about it being high, because it's finished. That's what you need to make sure, not what the FG of something is, but if it is truly finished or not.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #14
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Good advice, good advice. Holy cow, now that's a beer.

Next time, I'll mash lower. Either way, from a random recipe cobbled together from various Northern Brewer stout recipes and my own imagination, through blind luck I have something that tastes exactly like I wanted. I'm very pleased, and can't wait until I can enjoy it (hopefully while it's still cold outside). The fear of exploding bottles is over, and all I have to do is wait and enjoy the sweet results.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #15
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are worried about bottle bombs, bottle up a plastic bottle to use as your coal mine canary - it will get rock hard and the nubs on the bottom will invert if the beer is getting over carbed. If this happens you can pop the caps on the rest of the bottles to relieve the pressure.

Quick Reply