Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Your opinion of refilling vs. swapping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #11
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I refill because I have a nice 20lb Aluminum tank. Just had to have it Hydroed though. Still walking funny after that.

I say if you keep your tank inside your fridge and it's going to get rusted up, then swap it out.

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #12
straycat
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i like swapping my 20# for 16 bucks. instant gratification and a whole lotta kegging.

status = brewing

Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bought a new tank since I couldn't find a used one around on Craigslist, etc. I then realized that nobody around me did refills. I (reluctantly) got it refilled and the tank I got back was basically the same new one I brought in. Just ask the guy if he can swap out for a good looking tank. In the end, my tank is hidden away in the fridge and nobody sees it. I quickly got over the fact of having to swap and now enjoy the quickness, ease, and thrift of swapping.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 04-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Sacreddog717
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yo timbudtwo. Where do you get your tank filled or swapped? I'm in Dublin and just got my keg setup. I'm looking for a good priced place.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I refill but thats mostly because I have a leak somewhere in my 5lb setup, so I have been using my paintball setup in the meantime. Dicks refills 20 oz for 3 bucks. And they actually give you 20 ounces. I have had the hardest time getting my local distributors to be able to fill an entire 5 lbs, I always ended up with 2 lbs. When I call them out on it, they act like I am trying to cheat THEM, not the other way around. They say that the tank can only take a certain amount of pressure, and sometimes it doesnt get to 5 lbs (bullsh*t). So I take my business to Dicks.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
tekknoschtev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was very difficult for me to take my shiny new 5# tank in and swap it for a rugged looking 5# tank. I know the guy at the place and he even was sad for me, but they only swap, not fill and I was impatient. Everywhere that filled was closed on Saturday (which is when my kit came in) so I opted to swap.

Looking back, I don't actually care. If I had a 20lb tank sitting outside of my fridge, I might care (or I might just build a nice looking box to conceal it), but as it stands I can barely see the regulator on my tank, let alone the tank itself. If I get all 5 kegs in the fridge, I'd actually have to remove one to see the tank at all. So.... I don't really care. It was sad turning in the shiny new tank, but I'm pretty sure it'd only have mattered for the first few photos I took of my setup.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #17
timbudtwo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

GAH. I found some place that refills 5# tanks for 16 bucks but they are 35 miles away. Won't save anything because of fuel costs.

Garbage

Old 04-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

yeah, I'm no help either Tim.. the place I go to is near the San Jose airport, they refill while you wait - usually takes less than 5 minutes. So it's all the convenience of swapping plus the benefit of keeping your own tank.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 AM   #19
konrad
Recipes 

I swap mine out. Easier, cheaper and I don't have to worry about getting the tank hydro tested.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #20
timbudtwo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
yeah, I'm no help either Tim.. the place I go to is near the San Jose airport, they refill while you wait - usually takes less than 5 minutes. So it's all the convenience of swapping plus the benefit of keeping your own tank.
That was the place I found... Cry... I'm in San Ramon so i'm screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad View Post
I swap mine out. Easier, cheaper and I don't have to worry about getting the tank hydro tested.
I will probably do that once I have to get it tested!

Quick Reply