Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > YO keggers--Force carbonation step by step?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default YO keggers--Force carbonation step by step?

Can an experienced "kegger" take me through the steps from start to finish on kegging? Assume I have my beer racked to a corny, chilled, everything sanitized and ready to go. Also assume I want to force carbonate with enough pressure so this will be drinkable in 2-3 days...

Thanks!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Crank it up to 30-40 pounds, shake it and let it sit under pressure for a few days, then remove the gas in line, turn down the pressure, bleed the keg of pressure and serve. Cheers!

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-14-2005, 02:42 AM   #3
BitterRat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do almost exactly like Janx, except I shake the heck out of it a bunch of times and then let it sit under pressure overnight and start serving the next day! It's good to go almost every time!

Old 03-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterRat
I do almost exactly like Janx, except I shake the heck out of it a bunch of times and then let it sit under pressure overnight and start serving the next day! It's good to go almost every time!
try www.defalcos.com, draft beer primer menu item on left side of page. it's the way i force carb.

make sure the beer is cold. co2 will absorb into the beer a lot better when chilled. the last two i kegged, i let sit for an extra 2-3 days before i tried it. the head was much better, and a nice collar of foam. but again, that all goes back to brewing technique, sanitation, etc. but it does help!

DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-14-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
seven77
Recipes 

Why do you shake it? To let th CO2 mix in with the beer?

Old 03-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven77
Why do you shake it? To let th CO2 mix in with the beer?

you have the gas hooked up to the keg "out" post or "pick-up tube". you attach the gas to that, and rock the keg back and forth to work the co2 up through the beer. re-chill, and after 2-3 days, vent pressure off the top, adjust co2 to serving psi, and re-attach to the in-post. wha-la! carbonated beer in 2-4 days.

DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks....just wanna make sure I'm doing this right, especially after the irish red debacle.
I have good carbonation in it now--just have too much foam. Now I'm troubleshooting that, and now getting drunk in the process! It's a dirty shame to have to drink all of this fine home-brewed beer from my home tap. Dirty shame I tell ya.......dirty shame.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
NorthRiverS Likes This 
Old 03-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrelse
Thanks....just wanna make sure I'm doing this right, especially after the irish red debacle.
I have good carbonation in it now--just have too much foam. Now I'm troubleshooting that, and now getting drunk in the process! It's a dirty shame to have to drink all of this fine home-brewed beer from my home tap. Dirty shame I tell ya.......dirty shame.
ah.....yes orrelse, but we suffer for the greater good of beer! we wouldn't want our friends and familiy to drink inferior brew, right?

just vent the head pressure off the keg, lower psi, re-attach in gas and let sit over-night. it'll calm down for ya!

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 04-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
mrkeeg
Recipes 

Default different sized posts?

Hey guys,
Well, I'm pretty happy - now in posession of a keg system!

I've given everything a good cleaning and figgured out how it all goes together. It has pepsi / corny kegs.

The only thing that was a bit annoying, is that it seems that the "in" and "out" posts are different sizes? (though they are almost indiscernable to look at). This meant a sort of tedious re-sorting after I washed them, but more importantly:

- a number of threads here suggest hooking the CO2 to the "out" post for force carbonation. My quick connects only fit "in" to "in" and "out" to "out". (well... actually... I MAY be able to force a fit... but..?)

Is something odd here?

Thanks guys,
Keegan

Old 04-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeg
Hey guys,
Well, I'm pretty happy - now in posession of a keg system!

I've given everything a good cleaning and figgured out how it all goes together. It has pepsi / corny kegs.

The only thing that was a bit annoying, is that it seems that the "in" and "out" posts are different sizes? (though they are almost indiscernable to look at). This meant a sort of tedious re-sorting after I washed them, but more importantly:

- a number of threads here suggest hooking the CO2 to the "out" post for force carbonation. My quick connects only fit "in" to "in" and "out" to "out". (well... actually... I MAY be able to force a fit... but..?)

Is something odd here?

Thanks guys,
Keegan
can you just swap the gas connects so it will fit the "out" post? all mine are pin-lock kegs. one of my kegs has the down tube on the "in" post. so i just swapped the connects from the 3 notched to the 2 notched connect. just have to remember which one i am using before i force carb!

DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply