Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Yeasty beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
HBDrinker008
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeasty beer

I bottled a belgian wit the other day. It had been in the primary for 2 weeks and finished out at 1.010 OG 1.038. Its a PM version of Biermunchers blue balls. I started doing everything for bottling and started filling bottles. I then tasted the Hydrometer sample and man was it awful. A taste that I can only describe as yeasty with some of the foul aroma that you can get with fermentation. The yeast was White Labs 400.

I probably should have let it sit in the primary or transferred off the cake to a secondary but I figured it didnt need it because of the style. But with all that aside what do you think the odds are that this off flavor fades? Maybe after it carbs and more of the yeast drops out will the flavor go away? I was thinking about waiting a week to 2 weeks to carb then puting it in my basement where it is upper 40's to sort of cold condition. Do you think this will help or should I just start accepting the loss?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

It's green. Give it time, some of the yeast will flocculate out, it'll also clean itself out as it conditions.

RDWHAHB!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply