The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Yeast not settling out in bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Yeast not settling out in bottles?

I was just looking at my latest two batches closely in front of a window. I was planning on giving some away for Christmas, but what I saw alarmed me. When I look at the bottles, I see that there is a lot of what looks like little specks of yeast which has not settled out. It's suspended near the sides of the bottle, and if the bottle has any imperfection on the sides near the neck, there is a ring of it there. When I tilt the bottle, you can see the specks of yeast move slightly with the liquid in there, so it's not just stuck to the sides.

The batches have been in the bottle 1.5 months and 2 months. Both use Nottingham yeast. I've been drinking these two heartily for several weeks and they taste great. I typically drink at room temperature. But now I'm not as excited about giving them away, because they look kind of gross in the bottles. I would go back and check my other batches, but my other beers are all dark.

Did I do something wrong with these latest two batches? Is this normal for bottle-conditioned beer? Will it settle out eventually? How long?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Did the bottles get shaken up while you were checking them? Just gravity should settle the specks, but I also wouldn't worry about it. Just tell people it's yeast, it's nothing to worry about, and don't complain about free beer.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No; the bottles have been stored undisturbed in a cardboard box since being bottled, but if I pick them up out of the box and check them with a flashlight I see yeast specks suspended in them.

Quick Reply