yeast cakes in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commandercool724

Reaction score
I have a bunch of bottles that already had some brew in them and i wanna use them to bottle my next batch. what is the best way to get the remnants of the yest sediment out of the bottom of the bottles?

thx :mug:

Well, (although this may be to late) the best way to remove the sediment is to rinse out the bottle as soon as you pour out the beer. Simple as that. Otherwise....your gonna have to soak the bottles in some oxyclean (or some other cleaner), and get to work with a bottle brush. I think it's safe to say, that getting into the habit of rinsing the bottles after use....is one of the best practices you can do.

yes I agree that would have been ideal however these bottles were given to me. I might just throw them away but I hare to do so because they r pint bottles which are a little harder to come by

Just soak them in oxyclean, then give them a good rinse. submerge as many as you can in your sink or bathtub with hot water and oxyclean. Shouldn't even need a brush.

Oxyclean, hot water and a jet bottle rinser.

jet-bottle-washer.jpg

I like to take a large cooler, tub, trashcan, etc. and fill it w/ water and oxyclean to make the most of my sanitizer. Let 'em soak, and then take a bottle brush w/ the end cut off and put it in a drill. It makes quick work of any stubborn nasty stuff!

There are 2 types, OxyClean and OxyClean Free, it will say FREE on the package. The regular stuff has blue fragrance crystals in it. Wal-Mart also carries Sun Oxygen Cleaner, it's the same stuff. It's all just Sodium Percarbonate (sp?) AFAIK. I use it to clean all my brewing equipment, then StarSan to sanitize.

Back