Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Worst salvage bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #41
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

FWIW...I know that a long time ago (like in the '60's and 70's when returnables were refillable) the labels that many of you call "paint" was actually glass dust fused by heat to the glass bottle. I have one case of old heavy duty Rolling Rock bottles and I am sad that with repeated use the "labels" are fading...not sure if it's paint or fused glass...but it is tough stuff!
My least favorite bottles are those cool Euro/craft bottles I get that need bigger caps...

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #42
cborzio1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Cooking oil dissolves most glues I encounter that soapy water won't. Rub some oil on with your hands then clean the oil off with soapy water. It's better than putting harsh chemical solvents (e.g. gasoline) on bottles you're going to drink from!

Rouge Porter labels used to drive me crazy before I figured out this little gem. Also I cant get off the painted on labels from Arrogant Bastard Ales.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply