Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Wondering how commercial breweries carbonate in the bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
jiffybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wondering how commercial breweries carbonate in the bottle?

I'm curious... My guess is that they force carbonate, like soda pop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

i know arcadia partially force carbs
bell's brewing says right on the bottle"bottle conditioned, decant to serve"

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It's pretty obvious if they do - there'll be yeast sediment in the bottle. If there isn't, it was filtered and force carbed before bottling - the majority of commercial beer is done this way.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

some beers actually naturally carbonate the entire big batch of beer then bottle it the way you would bottle forced carbonated beer. It must be an interesting operation to watch, and a well designed huge tank to hold all that pressure.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #5
sweet_corn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought when I toured a brewery this fall, they said they caught the CO2 off of fermentation, stored it as a liquid, and then used it as part of their canning/bottling process.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #6
bigben
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_corn
I thought when I toured a brewery this fall, they said they caught the CO2 off of fermentation, stored it as a liquid, and then used it as part of their canning/bottling process.
huh?

what brewery is that? so, they compress it to form liquid, then they shoot it into the beer, hehe...that sounds interesting

Old 12-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
firepunk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_corn
I guess its cheaper than buying co2? maybe. At the very least it is a neat little trick.

On deck: Something... maybe a pear cider.
Fermenting: German Hefe
Kegged: Nada ATM

"Who could possibly need 5 gallons of beer?" -swmbo in reference to me buying a homebrew kit.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
what brewery is that? so, they compress it to form liquid, then they shoot it into the beer, hehe...that sounds interesting
It's a common practice among big breweries since it's fairly efficient. It's been discussed among homebrewers but fairly unanimously agreed that it's impractical at best on a small scale.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #9
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Force carbonation is actually only used by small brewers. The bigger ones carbonate during the secondary fermentation/lagering by simply keeping the fermentation vessels under controlled pressure. This is pretty easy to do (even for the home brewer) and much cheaper than buying CO2. If the brewery is big enough they also harvest the CO2 from the fermentation and use it in the brewing process or sell it.

German brewers have to use fermentation CO2 for carbonation. Any other CO2 violates the Reinheitsgebot.

Kai

Old 12-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
jiffybrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Force carbonation is actually only used by small brewers. The bigger ones carbonate during the secondary fermentation/lagering by simply keeping the fermentation vessels under controlled pressure. This is pretty easy to do (even for the home brewer) and much cheaper than buying CO2. If the brewery is big enough they also harvest the CO2 from the fermentation and use it in the brewing process or sell it.
Kai
But if the beer is already carbonated in the fermentation vessel and they fill the bottle, doesnt the beer foam all over the place while bottling?
hmm....

Quick Reply