The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > wing-type capper technique.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Pezman1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default wing-type capper technique.

Newbie here. Been trying out my red "Emily" style capper on empty bottles, and I have a question.

Do you;

1. Place the cap on the bottle, Place the capper on top of the bottle/cap. Press down on the capper arms causing the metal C-brackets of the capper lower arms to slide up the neck until contacting the lip of the bottle, causing the bell to come down and crimp the cap.

2. Place the cap on the capper magnet. Position the capper so the metal C-brackets are just below the lip of the bottle, then squeeze the arms together and push down to crimp.

Both of these mothods seem to work, except method 1 is pretty hard to do on bottles like those from Sierra Nevada, with its sloping style neck.

Thanks! Pez.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I use method #2. The problem I have with method #1 is that the caps are prone to slip off from time to time either before I can get the capper in place, or as I'm placing the capper.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tried #2 initially but I seem to have better luck placing the cap in the bottle & then the capper. I guess the best way is whatever works best for you..

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The best way is whichever works best for you. However, I prefer to put the caps on the bottles first, 1/2 dozen or so at a time. Then pass the capper from bottle to bottle. With time you will develop a technique that will be efficient and fluid. Just takes a little practice to develop a "feel" for it.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default technique.

Thanks for all the replies. Although both techniques work for me, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something completely obvious. Think I'll stick with method #2 for now.

Pez.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I'm bottling alone, I like to fill the bottles one after the other, resting a sanitized cap on each one as I go along, to minimize the time the mouth is open to any uninvited, airborne guests. Then go around and cap them all at once. I quickly got a good feel for setting the capper down just right every time, capping about 10/minute.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I do cap on bottle.....Actually Papazian and I think palmer talk about letting the co2 void out any oxygen in the bottle...you do that by placing the cap loosely on, then silling a bunch of bottles (now that i have my system down I do an entire case) then you start from the first one and use the wing capper, til you get to the last one filled...what happens is that you give the co2 time to begin to form and that will push the air out of the headspace.

You could prolly leave them open for the 5-10 minutes it takes to fill the case of bottles. Then cap them..but all matter of stuff could end up in the bottles thenl like fruitflies.

I've actually had a few caps pop off the bottles in that time, which means that it must be working, kicking all that nasty oxygen out of the headspace and away from my beer.

Plus I've ruind a couple caps tryubg ro do the cap o magnet way for the heck of it....you can't really see if it is seated or not...I've crimped one in half and never know till I lifted the capper off.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
....Plus I've ruind a couple caps tryubg ro do the cap o magnet way.....
Jeez Revvy, I was with you up to this point. Little druck are we?

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 07-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
ottobrew
Recipes 

+1 for cap on bottle. Like to keep unwanted stuff out while filling other bottles. Hadn't thought about CO2 pushing oxygen out of bottles before, but makes perfect sense. Will probably fill and cap in sequence to allow ample pushing time from now on.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
Jeez Revvy, I was with you up to this point. Little druck are we?
I have been having keyboard issues all niigfh....I am not 100% convinced that it is becasie I am druck.....But all night I have had typos...even before I started drinking....Either my fingers are acting funkk, or I have a virus....

It is weired.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply