Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Wine Cooler Temperature Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
croid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wine Cooler Temperature Issue

So the lovely wife surprised me with a present for my new hobby. A wine cooler that she scored off of Craigslist! (She’s pretty cool like that, plus I think she’s starting to get interested in it too). Anyway, the wine cooler works great to about 55 degrees, but I'd like to have it be a kegerator as I can easily fit two corny's in there and would still have plenty of room left over.

I've done some searching and found out that I could put a potentiometer (not sure what that is really, or how to do it) in there to adjust the temperature to what I'd need, but is that really a good way to go? Can the Wine Coolers handle going colder? I just didn't know if that would be "bad" on it and make it poop out faster. Also, apparently this is a three zone cooler and so the bottom is supposed to be cooler than the top, not sure if that matters or not. (Here’s the model if that matters)

I also have a mini fridge like this one, and didn't know if it would be possible to just take the guts from it and put it into the wine cooler. That may be more work than it's worth, but just a thought I had, as it can get pretty cold.

Any ideas/thoughts/advice on what to do? Is the potentiometer the best route?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2765 Times on 2722 Posts
Likes Given: 114

The link to the wine cellar is broken...

What about using it as a lagering vessle/ fermentation cooler for the summers? From the sounds of it - it'd need no modification whatsoever for that purpose...

Just a thought... most wine cellars I've seen have had insulation that was... lacking... and the unit may work itself to death if asked to cool more than it was designed to...

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
croid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I've thought about using at a lager fermentor, but I'm just getting into this, and haven't even started thinking about getting to that point yet. I guess I'd always have it on hand if I needed to. I was just hoping to be able to use it as a Kegerator, since she got a pretty good deal on it. I guess we wouldnt' be out too much anyway.

Sorry about the broken link. Let's see if this works:

KitchenAid Undercounter Wine Cellar KUWS246EBL Reviews. Buying guides & consumer product reviews at Epinions.com

Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
croid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would using a potentiometer do any good, or is that too taxing on the compressor?

Quick Reply