Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Wine/Champagne yeast for bottling big

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
simonbones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wine/Champagne yeast for bottling big

So here are the specs of my brew:

OG: 1.102
Yeast: WLP500
Decanted 3600mL Starter
3 Mins pure O2 at pitching and a second burst 15hrs after pitch.
After five days of slowly rising temps from 68F avg 3F/day I measured a 1.011 gravity, I racked, and have been holding for a few days at 38F to kill it and get all the yeast out.
That's a 12.14% abv and 88.37% attenuation.

I want to make sure to get a good clean bottle carbonation on a beer like this with nice head using a wine or champagne yeast, like Brouwerij Van Steenberge or some of the other big Belgian boys do. Never done a beer like this using a wine or champagne yeast, usually just used a repitch from collecting and rinsing the primary yeast. I've dicked up some high alcohol bottle carbs before and at 12+% I want to make sure this one goes perfect.

What's a good yeast recommendation for this? Red Star Cuvee? Suggestions?

How much would you use? Would you make a small 400mL starter with it or anything? Or just rehydrate and pitch?

Please throw down some wisdom. I want this beer to drop a few panties.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply