Will this work???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdirtbuggy

Reaction score
Ok guys, when it comes to force carbing you beer i was wondering if this idea would work. people say to pressurize the keg at 30 psi shake it and let it sit for a few hours, But I was wondering what would happen if you set your regulator at the pressure that you wish to serve at then pressurize the keg, Shake it, Pressurize the keg, Shake it, Pressurize the keg, Shake it, ect ect. it seems to me that the keg will stop accepting pressure after the liquid space and head space have maxed out at the pressure that you wish to serve at. will this work? or am I over looking something? any input will be greatly apprecited. Thank you.

I'm going to quote johnsma from another thread. I think he summed it up best.

johnsma22 said:
Shaking will give you carbonated beer, that much is for sure. It won't 'hurt' it either, but you may over-carbonate it, which takes time to recover from.

Any suggestions that could be given on how much to shake, or how long to leave it at an elevated pressure to achieve a certain 'acceptable' level of carbonation would be pure speculation.

The only way to achieve consistent and repeatable results is to set it and forget it. The first thing to decide is what temperature you like to enjoy your beer at. Next, decide what level of carbonation you would like your beer to have. And finally, set the pressure required to achieve those results and forget about it for 3-5 days. Perfect every time! It does require patience though, but can't the same be said for every step in the brewing process?

As stated above there is no way to speed up the conditioning process. Green beer is green beer no matter how you carbonate it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29924&highlight=shake

yes, yes, and yes.

I Set and forget and over pressurize .

Get 90% of carbonation complete in 3-5min using over pressuring, say target 8psi then dial up 20psi wind the reg back off and shake, watch the dial fall back as you shake, you get an idea of how close you are to the target carbonation by how quickly the keg pressure drops off, as you get closer reduce the over charge pressure to say 15psi , shake , 10 psi shake , etc... winding the reg back before each shake. Give it a go and you pretty quickly get a feel for it.

Next set and forget, 24hrs at you intended pressure and your done.

GLuck

Back