Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Will my beer still age in a keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
underwaterdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Will my beer still age in a keg?

I have a Pale ale kegged now, and it is a little young(as people explained to me). It is still good, I like it, but I am told it can get better. My concern is it is kegged, the yeast cake is gone, so how can it continue to age. I mean I am drinking a glass or 2 a day so I assume any new sediment falling out is probably removed by me. Is it something I should not touch at all for a while, or should i have waited to keg it a little longer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Aging will continue. Yeast have their role early on in the aging process but there are other things that occur long after the yeast have stopped their function.

Leave it sit if it is still green. It'll be fine.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So beer ages the same in kegs as it does bottles?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'm still new at kegging but from my experience both of my original kegs absolutely aged in the keg. I picked up a couple extra corny's specifically for aging so that when one keg went dry I'd have an aged one ready to go. I'm still working on the pipeline for this though .

EDIT:
I don't have the experience to say if it ages the same in a bottle or keg.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwaterdan View Post
So beer ages the same in kegs as it does bottles?
From what most say (including most major sources) bulk aging is different than bottle aging. So they are reputedly different. Most of the long term stuff I age is done in bottles (usually goes away into the cellar for lengths of time exceeding a year) save Oktoberfest which is bulk lagered. Aging is mainly a function of time and temperature. Those are the dominant factors. The preference is to have colder temperatures and longer time rather than high temperatures for short time, although some styles the latter is more fitting. It all depends on what you are after.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

See this is why I started brewing, this is very interesting, and really forces you to learn and play on your own. It isn't like following the directions on the side of the box of premixed brownies, there is a lot of room for your own touches and experiences to come into play. With that said - I haven't learned many if any of those "touches" but I assume I will in time.
Boy I love homebrewing!(is anyone else this excited or is it just my lack of sleep?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
From what most say (including most major sources) bulk aging is different than bottle aging. So they are reputedly different. Most of the long term stuff I age is done in bottles (usually goes away into the cellar for lengths of time exceeding a year) save Oktoberfest which is bulk lagered. Aging is mainly a function of time and temperature. Those are the dominant factors. The preference is to have colder temperatures and longer time rather than high temperatures for short time, although some styles the latter is more fitting. It all depends on what you are after.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I had as batch of beer that I did two things with: 1-6 pack was in the fridge "A", and 1 was left @ ~70F "B". After recently chilling "B" and tasting both after a 4 month aging, I much preferred "B" (both served at same temp). Only brewing for a year I don't have much experience to go on.

Oh, I would think that the multiplying of yeast in a bottle due to added sugars would have to have some influence on the aging process.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
MSUConrad
Recipes 

I age all of my beers in the keg. One note. I used to leave the CO2 hooked up at 12 PSI. That way it would be good to go when I move it from the "aging" fridge to the kegorator.

Moral of the story, I drank all of the beers very young. So now I still age, but CO2 must wait! (except for removing oxygen when I keg)

Old 01-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The most intriguing thing you'll find is that many recipes hit some magical 'golden week' when all of a sudden it seems to go from good to great in a very short time. Some continue to improve or change and then usually they hit some kind of wall where they just don't get better, or in some cases just turn. My DunkelWeizen does not age well at all and is in its prime around the 4 week mark.

The rule of thumb is usually the more complex the recipe or the higher the gravity, the longer it will need to age. Usually only the really substantial gravity beers (>7%) can go the distance. There are exceptions to the rule, but that is pretty much it. Recently, I have been focusing on filling back all of my bottle stock with long term aging in mind.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

At a glass or two a day, it won't last long enough to worry about aging. But, if you can restrain yourself for a couple weeks, you won't be disappointed.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply